Cam Problems

horndog

Reaction score
Here's the situation. Pulled cam 3 days ago tocheck for water in the enclosure, had a little so I let it dry for 2 days. I also cut another viewing hole in the top to see the pic counter so I wouldn't have to open it up to check it. Took it back out tonight to set up, plugged it in and the flash lit up and stayed on. I thought maybe it needed to warm up so I shut the camera off but left the sensor hooked up. After about 5 min. I turned the camera on(using the AF model with the big round switch and a phono jack) flash stayed off but the relay seemed to oscillate and no flash would come on. Seems like the relay was shutting down before it could send a signal to the cam. Is this caused by low battery? is the relay gone bad? I'm using a 12 vDC system with the MS20 PIR.
Any suggestions?

horndog

Reaction score
replaced the relay and it works fine now. Must have been a bad relay or it just crapped out from me testing it....LOL

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi horndog,
Make sure you use a relay with the appropriate coil voltage rating.  You might get by with a 9VDC rated coil - but the 12 volt batts might kill it after a while.
Many people are using 5 and 9 volt relays with a 12 volt batt.  It'll work for a while, but it's not going to last.

Archilochus

horndog

Reaction score
I was usimg a 12 volt relay. I replaced it with another 12 volt relay (same as before) If I still have problems with it then I may try to go to a reed relay.

Surveyor

Reaction score
I've built two cams and each has a personality of it's own. One seems to set up ok and takes my pic when I walk by but then takes a couple of picks and then the Cam (Cannon PF) gets confused and doesn't take any more picks. The relays and PIR sensor(MS20) seem to be working as I can hear the "clicks" when getting close to the Cam. and the test light will come on.
 The other cam appears to be triggered by a bird ? Sometimes someting is evident in the first pick, then it proceeds to take a number of picks in rapid sucession. These have nothing in them that I can find.
Anybody out there have any Ideas? These cams do not have a timer , would this Help?
             Thanks for all the help past and future.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Surveyor, Check your PIR batteries,if they are low replace them and see what you get. Also don't set your cam up close to any pines or cedars because they hold heat and when the wind blows it will set your cam off. If this doesn't work let us know.

Surveyor

Reaction score
I'm using 12 Volt Gel cell batts for the PIR, they are new and I understand that they should last quite a while. also the longest they run is for two weeks before they are charged. There are no evergreens of any type close to the cams, only poplar and scrub oak. I'v trimmed the shrubs in the area as well. This has me stumped!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
It sure does sound like a weak battery tho, that's odd!

Tinhorn

tomtruck

Reaction score
i had the same problem, i just presumed that the battery was new, turned out after checking it on a volt meter, it was far from new, replaced the battery with a good one and problem went away.

Surveyor

Reaction score
As usual you guys were right. I guess the trickle charger that I was using is really a trickle charger. I put both Batts on for a good charge and the cams are both working well.
 Thanks again. As soon as I can figure out how , I'll post some pics of elk, whitetails and Sandhill Cranes (what they are doing in the bush is a mystery to me):smile-yellow:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Off the subject Surveyor but

are you a Surveyor (I'd guess-he he)

Do you know if there's any freeware software or a site with a program that would convert PLSS (Township/range/section) in the Midwest of the states over to Long/Lat???  I know something is available for our western states but "back East" there are Spanish Land Grants to contend with, etc and unlike the American West, the "Grid Pattern" is broken up.

Somebody posted a Mapping Site the other day in the Mapping Forum that can do it and it's not too bad but I'd like to find some software that'll do it a little quicker.....

Thanx

Tinhorn

glen71

Reaction score
Surveyor - I use a lot of gel cell batteries in deer feeders. Those little chargers take 12-24 hours to fully charge a battery.

Surveyor

Reaction score
Tinhorn, Yep, a Surveyor but in Manitoba , Canada.  Sorry can't help you with your problem.

Top Bottom