cam Trakker or the non-typical dc 100

Mrfishy34

Reaction score
i am new to the forum and i am wanting to buy a deer cam.  i like the cam trakker and the non-typical dc-100.  i dont really know what to look for in a cam but from what i heard on huntingbbs these are 2 realy good ones.  and i was thinking about the ones that jess's got but look to confusing for me any help would be appreciated

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
this will be the best advise you can get.

first as always try and build one yourself.once you really start looking into doing one yourself you'll see it doesn't take much to build your own

second if you just don't have the time or patients, BUT have money to spend AND want the MOST out of your money DON'T buy the camtrakker!! there are a few guys here that make VERY NICE UNITS AND YOU CAN GET(depending want you want, digital is obviously more)TWO CAMS for WHAT YOU WOULD PAY FOR A CAMTRAKKER!. you know what that means don't you...you can be scoutiing twice as many places 24 hrs a day!!

i had a camtrakker and after letting it sit for a year i gave it to a friend in idaho(BUCKSHOT OUTFITTERS out of sandpoint) who guides and could and does actually use it. hindsight is 20/20. i don't regret giving it away but i do regret dpending all that money when i could have gotten something as good  or BETTER FOR LESS MONEY!

the two guys i know of that make cams and sell them can be found easiest on EBAY. just do a search for "GAME CAMERA".

cc

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
MrFishy...

We would probably all agree that you should......BUILD, BUILD, BUILD.....It's really not that difficult, there is lot's of available help right here on this forum.  ****** has all of the available parts and equipment, and even offers some services...Like...wiring the camera if you don't feel comfortable soldering on a new camera (it's not that difficult, with some practice, and steady hands), but you would still end up with a quality camera without forking over 400+ dollars. It is really quite rewarding to build a camera, and then actually put it to use, getting pictures from something you actually built is AWESOME!! Good luck with whatever you decide!!

INshedpicker

Reaction score
My two cents:

I had/have a Camtrakker and it is/was definitely a fine unit, however, their customer service is worthless.  I've also found that raccoons like to trash it.  I think it's because the lid is not airtight, and they smell something interesting from inside.

Bottom line:  the homebrews I've made are just as good as the Camtrakker, and for 1/4 the price.

Mrfishy34

Reaction score
hey guys thnks.  i am only 15 yrs old and i dono if its ez enough for me to build one my self and would i have to desing it myself or what... thnks for the info guys

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
MrFishy....

I think it is easy enough for a 15 year old to make, you don't have to design anything at all, everything is already designed.  Your buddies would all be pretty envious of you if you built your own trail cam, and started getting pictures on it. If I were you, I would consider it, there is plenty of help available right here, and the cost, compared to a commercial unit, would be more in line for a 15 year old's budget!! It's up to you, but I would be willing to help you with anything I can!

Mrfishy34

Reaction score
thnks for the info i think i am going to do some more checkin on buildin my own if u guys think i can do it

RSB

Reaction score
Go for it , if those of us over 50 can do it so can you.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
These cams are a heck of a lot easier to build than the 2 part footed arrows I was making at your age. Basic cams, and ones with timers and such supplied by some of us, are not rocket science. Your hands are a lot steadier than ours. We can give you all the tech support you could ever ask for.

(Edited by ****** at 4:55 am on Aug. 3, 2002)

thehairlessone

Reaction score
i would have to go with the deercam IF you are not going to make one. Much cheaper than camtrakker and i thought mine was really sweet till it got stolen the second week i had it.

That is when i started making them. At least i am not out as much $ now. I did get them insured on my homeowners from  now on.

rick

Latest Posts

Top Bottom