Dbworld

Reaction score
Went to the folks cabin for the Long weekend and put my camera out in a 1/4 acre empty lot between my folks cabin and the neighbors.  There are LOTs of cabins around, but also lot's of deer that don't seem to care.  I was hoping for some night time pics, which I got.  

They didn't come out that great but I'm pretty sure I know why. I think this deer is about 15 - 20 feet away.  

This is a pic where the slave flash didn't recycle fast enough so it is using just the camera's flash.  I can see the deer but not great. I suspect many won't be able to see anything.  The LCD screen on my laptop tends to be better than my regular monitor at work for viewing pics.
http://www.dbworld.net/ikonboard/images/up...020526_0005.jpg

This is a pic with the slave flash.   Notice how out of focus the deer is and how in focus the tree to the right is.  The camera has two focus settings that you can choose. One is where it focuses on the center of the pic only and one it focuses on the entire screen.  Well, since that tree was only about 3 feet away I'm 94.2% positive, all the pics focused  on that.  I suspect the weak flash results for both pics were also a result of this.  I think having your focus on this setting is still best, just  make sure there isn't anything too close for it to focus on instead of the intended subjects (deer).

http://www.dbworld.net/ikonboard/images/up...020526_0007.jpg    

I also think both pics would have benefited flash-wise if that tree wasn't there.  

One more thing that would have helped is the setting on the digi-flash I have on there I think I'll get more distance if I do one of two things. Either cut a hole for the flash sensor in manual mode, or set the flash to the green setting that will give the flash more oomph.  I had better results in the back yard than I did here.  I still think most of the reason is that one stupid tree.  

Lew

Reaction score
Dave,   A suggestion, there were a number of posts a couple of weeks ago about using a flashlight reflector to boost the power of the flash.  The results looked pretty convincing, so for the new digital trail camera I am putting together, I plan to try a reflector.  If it works it is a cheap way of adding flash power and makeing digitals more night friendly.  Thanks for the wiring picture of the D370.  One question, you have three wires a red, yellow and black.  Which ones go the the refresh and which ones to the firing relay.   Lew

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
DB,
Could I get the plans for wiring the D370? Do you use one of Brian's boards or do you do it yourself? Any help or suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Dbworld

Reaction score
Looking from the back far left pad is common, next is shutter, next is focus.

In my picture that would be red - common,  yellow-shutter, black- refresh.

http://www.dbworld.net/ikonboard/images/upload/DSC00127.JPG

I'm not 100% about 98%.  

I use Brians Board...see "D370 recomendations" in earlier post for details of that.  

I am considering using the reflector when I have time.  

Hill Hopper

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll bet the actual flash that lit up the deer, and tree, was the camera's, and the slave had already fired. If you look at their eyes,they look different somehow. I may be imagining it, and or be wrong, but the deer is about the same clarity as what I get ar 30 to 50 feet at my house.

Dbworld

Reaction score
HH, I wish that were the case but if you look at the two posts in the beginning you'll see the difference.  The Slave works very well as far as the two flash sequence.....sometimes it doesn't cycle fast enough and doesn't work at all, but not very often as long as the batterys are freshly charged.  Seems I've had better results in the back yard too.  I know it can do better than these (based on back yard test),  I just need to play around with it until I get it right.  

Top Bottom