Camera box

ShearMadness

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just about ready to finish up my first camera. I have a PF owl and a RS49-425. What is the best box to use and how do I keep the camera tight to the front and keep it from rattling around ? Thanks.

MBullism

Reaction score
I think the best enclosure is probably a personal thing, and is influenced by budget, security needs, availabilty etc...  Not sure I can help there.  I'd search the posts here, and go back out to the main homebrew page and take a look at the pictures of homebrews...  Asking which enclosure is best might just be like who makes the best pick up!  I do see an awful lot of electrical boxes though...

As far as keeping things tight, I haven't found anything easier or better than closed cell foam.  It holds things in place, and is a sort of noise reduction thing too.  The only drawback is if your perfect enclosure leaks, the sound reduction stuff turns into a moisture storage facility.  I've seen some here that use a more rigid foam that probably doesn't hold moisture, but my perfect enclosures don't leak ;)  (or at least they haven't recently...)

M

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
Madness,
I would like to suggest if I may, I use the clear camping box @ Gander Mountain($14.99) It is completely water tight and has a lot of room. I mask off were I want the flash to go, my focus sensor, LED, and the counter. I then sand blast it to give it a rough finish(you could also sand it). Then I mount all of my electronics. I use a UV lenze for the picture hole, and completely isolate the flash with a hard rubber foam. I build it up so it forms a perfect fit against the face of the camera.I will also line the entire box with felt(just looks better I think). The foam I use to pack around the camera is stuff I get a Menards for air conditioners. It is gray and is 2.250x2.250 thick. I then put these bungie cord tie straps on the sides for holding it to the tree.I could email you a picture if you like.

bat

Reaction score
Hey SHARP SHOOTER, e-mail me some pictures of that setup if you will, I would like to see that.  The "hard rubber foam" you are talking about, where do you get it and how do you get it to form against the camera like that?  You use saran wrap to wrap the camera then spray it to form a mold or what?  Hmmmm I got some spray foam filler somewhere around here :idea-litebulb-blue: spray foam...cut to fit....might work  :batwings:

Jim K

Reaction score
SHARP SHOOTER
Could you e-mail me a some pictures, how do you attach the bungie cord to the box?
Thanks Jim :smacking-head-mallet:

ShearMadness

Reaction score
Do you lay the box on it's back and then close everything up so the camera stays put in the foam ?
 Please email the pic. Thanks

jayber

Reaction score
I'd like to see your camera setup as well Sharp Shooter, if you can't post for everyone to see.  E-mail me a picture if you would......thanks!

TmKarren

Reaction score
Nice box.  It looks great.  You did a good job on it..

MudMagnet

Reaction score
MCinIL what boxes did you use for ours??? where did ya get em and how much??????
thanks

Top Bottom