camera chains

gabbyone

Reaction score
I have noticed several of the homemade cams use bright chains for security, I did too until I looked at some of the thick cables with black plastic coverimng on them. They are about the same price as chain.

Rooter

Reaction score
I found 24" bike cables covered in a rubber.  They are at a local dollar store.  At 24"  I have to be picky about the trees I use, but for $1 I can't go wrong.

kmitch

Reaction score
I still like chains. I can cut a cable with a piece of steel with a sharp edge and a hammer. I weld a ring in one end of a 6' piece of chain. If the chain is new and shiny I paint the chains with Rustoleum rusty metal primer which is dark brown. I run the chain around the tree and through the ring and to a lock on the camera. The two cameras I have now are in ammo boxes and have a 3" pipe sleeve around the lock so it is inaccessible with bolt cutters.

There is no such thing as theftproof. But I try to make getting my cameras more effort than the average thief is willing to expend.

I also put as note like this in the camera box. "If you stole this camera and did not see the other camera covering the same area, I have your picture and will prosecute. If you return the camer and it is essentially undamaged and do not trespass again, this incident will be overlooked."

Don't know if it works but I feel better.

Keith

Rooter

Reaction score
I agree that no cam is theftproof, however I  don't think the average guy in the woods carries something to cut the cable.  If he really wants it he will be back whether it has a cable or chain to get it.  I thought about screwing my cams directly into the tree from the inside of the padlocked box.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom