Camera help

S

sphunter

Hello everyone I want to build a game trail camera using a solonoid to fire the shutter.I want to keep it as simple as possible as I'm not too handy with electronics.Thank you in advance for any help that I Can get.

Kodiak1976

Reaction score
hello i am new to the board i was reading on the cams and since the name brand ones are to high i want to make one. i just bought a canon sure shot owl AF Date and i was wondering what is the cheapest sensor i can use with it please email me kodiak_76@hotmail.com or reply here on the board thanks and good luck in your next hunt

Kodiak

NatureBoy

Reaction score
The MSR20 sensor available at WalMart is a great one to begin your first camera with; costing approx $9.
Good luck

NB

Possum

Reaction score

feathermax

Reaction score
The only sensor I've used is the radio shack PIR. Don't mean to argue, but I can't imagine anything being easier: Snip two wires and solder two wires, glue in place and its done.
They are a bit more money, however - $19.99 for the last one I purchased.

Buckoholic

Reaction score
I am using the RS PIR and it has been very user friendly. The heat of the summer has been tough to overcome at times but it has been really working overtime for the past week. I have taken three rolls of film since the 22nd of Aug. I have read good and bad on both, the RS and the MS. The RS just looked easier to modify and that was the deciding factor for me. Keep us posted on how you are doing with your building stages. These guys are great to help you when you need it. I am speaking first hand. I NEEDED IT! THEY HELPED!

wvhunter

Reaction score
I am using the RS PIR and have had no problems with it, using the speaker wires.  It doesn't have as much range as the MS but I would rather have closer pictures anyhow than just a something 60+ feet in front of the cam.  The heat hasn't caused me as many problems as some but in WV we don't have 100 degree temps, but we did have lots of days in the low 90s this summer.  I average 23 pictures out of 25 with animals in them.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Kodiak - Maybe I can help. You already selected the MS20 when you used the word "cheapest". I'm a ham radio operator, and some hams build a radio transmitter inside a tuna fish can. Seems like building the "cheapest" is a hobby in its self, and these guys brag how it only cost them 2 cents. (Have fun)

I used the MS20 for a month last summer, and usually had my film developed at COSTCO's One Hour. The gal there is getting to know me, and I could tell when I had another full roll of MS20 false pictures by the smile on that gal's face when I walked up to the counter. I'm not talking about a few falsies, but rather another complete roll of nothing.

Anyhow, don't do like I did, and save your falsies letting them stack up on your desk. On the other side of the coin, the PIR doesn't miss anything, so you'll have satisfaction in knowing a critter didn't pass by undetected.    

gizz

Reaction score
More MS20 bashing! I'm starting to think RW has stock in Radio Shack.

RW - Didn't you get 24 out of 24 pics of nothing with the RS PIR? Then you added a thermostat so that it only worked below 70 degrees? Now you've added a light sensor so that the cam only works at night?
If so, that would mean it's only good for nightime pics and usually you can't hunt at night so it's not much good for scouting...?

Kodiak, Chose either one, follow the instructions, and you'll have a great cam. I have very few problems with my "cheap" MS20 but that may be just luck. If you can swing it you might opt for the RS Pir if for no other reason than it should last much longer on a small disposable 9V battery. The "cheap" MS20 requires more battery and therefore requires the use of a larger Amp battery. I'm using 12V 1.2Amp (Powersonic PS1212) batt's and I get about 3 to 4 weeks until I need to worry about them. They're re-chargeable so it's not too bad.

The MS20 PIR is much more sensitive and as some of the other's have mentioned, it will detect things out of the sight of the camera, especially if your using it in a somewhat "open" area. Quality wise I don't think the PIR is "cheap" but rather inexpensive.
I've never used the RS Pir but as others have mentioned they've gotten good results with it.
Good luck on your first build and hope some of this helps.

(Edited by gizz at 6:26 pm on Aug. 30, 2001)

Possum

Reaction score
I'm with gizz.  I think the MS20 has its place in the cam world.  I will modify my 2nd cam with the ms20 to be either day or night or 24 hour.  I bet I will really like the distance on the sensor when I set it for daytime only.  The extra range is unbelievable.  I have both RS and MS20.  I think when you use the MS20 you have to be more selective on where you mount the cam.

Kodiak1976

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips i picked the sensor from wal-mart for my first cam thanks again Kodiak

Top Bottom