Camera Locations

Tinhorn

Reaction score
What do you like:   Food Piles, Salt Licks, Trails, or ???

I prefer Trails myself, or funnels, places I hunt but have one salt lick I feel safe in putting one over (but usually only get Does and squirrels)

Last w/e I put 2 on some 1000 lb Round hay Bales, hope the Farmer didn't sell them this week, be my luck he'll Spear" them when moving the bales......

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
I like putting them on trails. Over the summer I found old logging roads worked good. Seems the wildlife like the easy walking too. This also brings up the question, Can a rattlesnake bite kill a Deer? Hmmm...

robNhood

Reaction score
With the MS20 & no timer, an area that the deer move through without "hanging around" much works the best for me.

I put one on a salt lick a couple weeks ago and got the same doe and fawn on all but one pic which was a hen walking through.

I would love to have a HUGE buck stop and stay for a while and get a whole roll on him. That would be nice.

I just think that the bucks are laying around in the corn and beans right now. I can't get a buck pic for nothing. The problem is, is that the corn and beans are on the neighbors property.

When the crops are cut in a few weeks and the bucks begin looking for the does, we should be set!

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I have only had my cams for a few weeks. But.

The place I located my firsdt came is a place that this time of the year is a natural deer magnate. Not sure what they are eating in this patch but for the past four years I have watched them migrate to this spot feed for a while then leave. I knew that's where I wanted my first cam. Two years ago opening day I saw 11 bucks in 35 minutes go through this spot, the largest 8pt wouldn't present a shot.

The second camera location is a trail crossing. Several trails come together. Last weekend I placed a stand within bow range of it. I can't wait to hunt it. Come on Sept 8th.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You guys reminded me,

I'm sure you've noticed that bucks will sometimes rub the same tree every year but I read the 1st rub on that tree (& scrape) usually occurs within a few days of each other each year too....

We might be able to get a buck making a rub or scrape the 1t time by leaving our cam there.  

Now if I can just think of the best place for that......

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
I prefer trails for the variety they present - you never know what you'll get!
I found a nice rub last winter that's been used for years - went to check it out last week and the whole area was clearcut - DAMN!

Archilochus

jayber

Reaction score
For now I've got my cams on trails, near heavier cover where I've seen bucks before as well as sign (rubs & scrapes).  And you've got it Tinhorn, the first decent rub I find this year will have a cam focused right on it!  The one area I have in mind I found 10 rubs on 4"+ diameter trees in about 30 yards.  I'm guessing it's a core area and he's there at nite.  Time will tell.....

BTW, the buck I'm referring to may be the one I caught on film back in May (see pics).......and his rack was already as wide as his ears at that time.

Top Bottom