Camera on a bait pile

TmKarren

Reaction score
I have a ten minute time delay set up on it for this.  I was thinking this might be a little to long.  What is a good time delay?  I was thinking maybe 5 minutes?  For those of you out there that have done this.  Besides the posts were slowing down.  Had to add to them.  Thank you.  

jayber

Reaction score
Depends on how many pics you want of the same deer.  I suppose if it's a nice buck one would want several, but if it was a doe maybe not so much.  I recall a post awhile ago from someone saying that the deer in their area didn't stick around the bait pile for very long anyway.  I would think it would depend on a specific deer.  Some may be shy or cagey and not stay in one place for very long and others might be the total opposite.  If I setup on a bait pile, I'd start with the 5 min. and adjust accordingly.

kmitch

Reaction score
I had one set over a food plot last season with a two minute delay. I only had a few double pictures. I'm setting all of mine at two mintes now.

Keith

BackWoods

Reaction score
I had the DeerCam SX500 last season.  Ialso had the programmer.  I put the Camera on a bait pile and wasnt back for a week.  The camera was on a 45 min. delay.  I had the event counter on a 5 min. delay. When I got to  check the camera  all the film was used (24 exp.) and I had 185 events.

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
This is only my findings. I have a camera with a 1-5-10 minute delay over bait. It was one I bought B4 I found this sight, and when I had the timer on 1 or 5, I had a lot of duplicate pictures of the same deer. I would now only use 10 minutes. I still have had 4 pictures of the same doe. So more time would be nice. I do have a friend w/a home brew set @ 1 minute and there where 24 pictures of squirrels over bait so be careful. Just my findings.

TmKarren

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.  You all saved me alot of time messing around with the time figuring.  Thanks again...

Steiner

Reaction score
TmK,
I am sure the situation varies depending on how localized the bait, how hard they are hitting it, ect...  My experience in early fall before bow season is 20 minutes minimum.  I personally would rather miss an individual deer once in a while (due to longer delay) but get 24 pictures of 24 different deer.  One of my limitations is that I can usually only check the camera once per week.  A 24 exp. roll of film is almost always shot in one week.  Just my 2 cents...

TmKarren

Reaction score
Thanks Kmitch.  I like when they say a good camera unit costs around $300 - $450.  Ha Ha.  Thats for 4 - 7 cameras around here

(Edited by TmKarren at 9:54 am on Mar. 9, 2002)

LW

Reaction score
I have automatic feeders that put out a specific amount of feed at a particular time, I started last fall with a 1 min delay usually got a 24 roll in 2 - 3 days with alot of duplicates mostly night pics, not a problem during hunting season I am usually on the lease every day to check my cam.
After season I shut off the afternoon feed and doubled the amount I put out at daylight, changed to 10 min delay. 99% of my pics were daytime with not many duplicates and usually counter did not exceede 30-35 events in a 7 day period. I cut back to 1 trip to the lease per week.  

homer

Reaction score
Tm, I don't think 10 minutes is to much delay on a feed pile for deer, atleast not around here in march. once they find it they will stay close to it until its gone. I think you will be getting a roll of film a day even with a 10 minute delay. Of course it depends on how much feed you put out. You also want some time between pics to let them settle back down. Just my thoughts. Homer

Latest Posts

Top Bottom