Camera Placements

WoodPetter

Reaction score
I have seen that most cameras has been ground monted,  I understand
that the angle is better mounting them that way. I was thinking of mouting
my cam's about 5-10 ft up a tree then angle the cam and sensor down.
( pretty much like you mount a flood light on a house)

I am doing this to prevent "hikers" picking up the cam or breaking it.
By putting it high up I hope that most "hikers" don't lug a long ladder
with them...

Any one tried this if so what are the pros & Cons of this ?

Thanks

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
WP, i tried that same thing on advice from a friend not on these forums with my first cam in the woods. It did work fine but the red squirrel that enjoyed my corn I placed there used up a whole roll of film. Mounting on the tree about waist high I seem to not get near as many small animals. I just got a roll back Fri. and it had only two bad pics. One was the first one to see if it worked(new cam) and the other had nothing I could see. The rest had all nice deer in them. Good luck wherever you decide. MC.

My Cam

(Edited by MCinIL at 6:55 pm on June 10, 2002)

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
If you spend some time on the camo work on your cam it will really help. Also you can place the cam in some brush as long as you keep the front on the lens and sensor clear and you don't have any leaves blowing around in front of it. To camo mine i used bark chips and glued it on with gasket maker. It's been through a few rain storms and hot weather with no problems at all. When i place this thing in the woods you would have a hard time finding it. Take a look if you want. It's on my link. Mike

woodsman

Reaction score
Welcome to JHP !
sounds like a good idea ,The only problem with that is you'll need some kind of a climbing divice to check your cam .:confused-yellow:

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Welcome to JHP. I have done this several times. I mount mine sometimes from 10' to 20' up in a tree. I just carry my climbing tree stand with me. To me its no different than hunting. I make sure the cams I put up in trees have timers on them. Here is a pick of a yotee this cam was about 12' up.

WoodPetter

Reaction score
Thanks all for your input it is really helpful.

Yes I would need to use my C-tree stand or a ladder which is a bit
Hmm clumpsy way but I forgot to mention that One of my cam's will
go up where I am 99% certain there will be bears and my cam is not
in a Metal box, was hoping a hight spot for the cam would help with the
bears too.

I still need to figure out how to make a side mounted view finder so I can
allign the cam in the best possible way.

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
Closer to the hunting season last year I actually mounted mine pointing down from my treestand locations.  But I'm in agreement with everyone else...3-3 1/2 foot off the ground, less chance of losing a whole roll of film. One more thing I learned the hard way...if you don't have a timer,delay, camera controller....you'll burn whole rolls of film in staging areas, thus I prefer faint trails and funnels.

That's my input!!

Top Bottom