Camera question

BigDog

Reaction score
I am hoping someone has a tip for a problem I am having. I put up cameras on the property in order to get a sense of how many deer are using it. I am a cheapo so I am using Stealth 35mm cameras, model MC2-GV. My problem is that the cameras are triggering when nobody is present. I got a feeling it is the sun doing it. I try to set them so that they don't face sunup or sundown. But, I still sometimes find a camera full of pics that were taken within a couple hours of when I planted it.

I also make sure there are no limbs in the way and no tall weeds in the view.

Any ideas?

iowabucks

Reaction score
Is there a sensitivity setting for this trailcam? If so, set it at low. In the heat of the summer, most everyone has problems with the sun heating the trees and grasses blowing in the wind. That will do it. It will decrease your range, but you will not get as many false pics.

BigDog

Reaction score
One of them is a slightly different model and it has a switch for "near" and "far". I have it set on "near". The others do not have any adjustments.

I was wondering if it would help to put a shade cover of some type over the top of the camera.

iowabucks

Reaction score
You could try, but i think the heat out in front of the camera is what is setting it off.
Have you tried moving it to different spots and still had the same problem?

BigDog

Reaction score
Yes, I have tried different spots. Some seem worse than others. I think I pretty much have to just put up with it. The property is high desert so the temps vary from low 50s at night to high 80s during the day. Not much I can do about that. I just thought I would run it by you guys who have been at this for a while to see if there might be a solution.
I am now buying the film in bulk which save a lot. I switched to rechargeable batteries. And, I just ordered 3 more cameras. With enough cameras, hopefully, I will get more pics than I am now. Although, I still get a few good ones.
[attachment=31744:attachment]
[attachment=31745:attachment]

Attachments

Outhouse

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigDog @ Aug 1 2006, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I try to set them so that they don't face sunup or sundown.[/b]
You didn't say if you were facing it north or south. You probably already know this, but you should try to face your to the north.

Did you notice the time of day that you were getting the false triggers?

I'm with you on being frugal(ok, cheap). But something to consider is that your up front cost will be cheaper with the 35mm trailcams. But if you plan to use trailcams a lot... IMO, digital will be cheaper in the long run. Twelve to 36 pictures of false triggers adds up quick when you consider film, processing, time, trip back and forth to getting them developed(price of gas) and nothing to show for it. On a 64MB card I get about 170 pictures... spring seems to be a good time for false triggers also, but I also get some critters in the 170 pictures as well. Plus I like the instant viewing out in the woods. I made my own digitals and ebay'd my 35mm and never looked back.

BTW, nice buck!!

Top Bottom