camera wiring ?

mkacala697

Reaction score
im working on my first cam and after hooking up the relay my dad found the 2 output wires were not negative and positive, are they suppose to be power for the camera or not?  should i be getting the 9volt reading if i use a battery tester on the 2 wires to the camera (before camera was hooked up)?

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the two wires going out to the camera are simply to act as the button on the camera, I believe there are no "polarity's" to observe, the relay is acting as a switch to "fire" the camera.  The camera is not powered by these wires, the camera has it's own batteries (some guys wire the camera into the same power source, but requires a much more in depth modification, and additional circuitry. All of this is based on my camera and PIR, I used the canon owl PF, and a RS 49-425, I used a 5v relay, so therefore, I will not measure the 9v battery on the leads going to the camera (I also used pin 2 of the large IC, not the speaker wires). So to sum it up, if you are using the above setup, one camera wire should go to one side of the relay, and the other camera wire should go to the other end of the relay, when that relay gets the signal to "close", it is acting as a light switch, and shorting the auto focus/flash,and the shutter to common, and firing the camera. I hope this helps you, and if any of this is mis-information, please feel free to correct me.

Bob

Tinhorn

Reaction score
h2oBOBh2o's explanation is right on!

plus, if you short the 2 wires coming from the cam to gether, the cam should go off, as tho you pressed the button

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom