camera won't work after being wired to sensor

STR8MEAT

Reaction score
I have a camera that I wired up and it works fine when you short the two wires together.  I wired the sensor and it tested out ok with the test light.  Once I wire the camera to the sensor the camera will not activate, but the LED still works properly.  I use the canon PF and the ms20 board with a 12v reed relay.  Can the relay be bad, and the LED still work?  What elst could it be.  I know it is not the way I have it wired.  I have checked and double checked the wiring.

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
i'm certainly not an expert and have used the RS PIR on my homebrews but it does sound like the relay is not closing. especially since the led test is working. if you have the + and - correct from the pir to the relay terminals then it seems the relay is bad or not wired right.
gumbo

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Either the relay, the wiring, a low battery, or cold solder joint. Pull out the volt ohm meter and start checking would be my recommeendation if you have one, or start trial & error testing.

Butch

STR8MEAT

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.  So the test light will work no matter if the relay is bad or not?  I did get it to work for a little while last night, I then woke up this morning and checked it out and it is not working again.  Relay you think??

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Another thing that might give you this problem is a bad plug/jack if you are using them.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
just to be sure the relay will work.  power it up seperatly and check continuity across the contacts.  A stupid question:  what battery voltage are you using??

STR8MEAT

Reaction score
I am using 8aa so 12v.  Am I correct that the LED light will not work right if the relay is bad??

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
No, the LED will work if soldered to pin 14. The relay is independent.

Butch

davered1

Reaction score
you have a 12V relay right? Is it the kind that fit in place of removed relay?

when you  power up board do you have continuity through the relay when pir is tripped?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Are you useing the jack and plug that is listed for the RS sensor? the plug (female) has 3 prongs to solder the wires too, make sure you have your wires soldered to the correct 2 prongs or it wont work,i done this on my first cam and it really threw me for a turn trying to figure out what i done wrong.it took an hour for me to even check it thinking it didnt matter.

Top Bottom