Camo for Coyotes?

Mojave

Reaction score
I've never gone out specifically for Coyotes, though years ago I would occasionally pop one that I surprised while bird hunting. The ones I see around here (Calif High Desert) will follow you pretty close while you are hiking, but stand off a pretty good distance when you are carrying a shotgun. How much camouflage is necessary to successfully call them in and hunt them? I have seen photos of hunters in street clothes with a recently deceased "desert dog", and others with the hunters dressed out like they were hunting turkeys. I successfully hunt doves, using dekes, and dressed in jeans and camo vest and hat. Is this enough for Coyotes, or will a hunter triple his success by dressing up like Rambo, with paint on his face and weeds in his hat?

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Personally, I feel movement is picked up by coyotes much faster than lack of camo.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
If it shines, rattles or squeaks it will cost you yotes eventually. Since we hunt in bluebird weather a lot in SoCal, having a shiney barrel is like a beacon in the sun. One flash and it's adios.

I once watched a guy in blue jeans and camo t-shirt calling below me. Along came some ravens and they flared when they saw him, (birds see color), Now, you think Wiley Coyote doesn't see that and know something is over there where the ravens flared off?

Sure you can get some yotes in blue jeans or with a shiney barreled rifle, but say you only get 1 yote to bite that day your out, you wanna blow it by him seeing something that just doesn't look right as he trots in.

songdog

Reaction score
Not really an opposing viewpoint but a different perspective...

I think that camo is much more important when hunting bobcats than coyotes since they are so much more visual hunters than coyotes.  Being upwind from a bobcat doesn't seem to bother them from my experience.  A coyote on the other hand will intentionally circle downwind just to find out what you are.

I shot this coyote in exactly what you see me wearing in the picture.  Sitting in the shade and not moving, I think, are much more important than camo.  This coyote was shot at about 20 yards.

Don't get me wrong, camo certainly doesn't hurt but I've seen too many guys thinking that they can scooch all over the place and fidget with whatever and still can't be seen cause they're head to tow in Mossy Oak.  It's just not the case.  It's kind of like the various scent blockers out there.  They all help but I still haven't seen any garment, spray, deoderant, etc. that will let you sit upwind from a coyote that's coming straight into your scent.  If the wind shifts for a second, they can be a life saver but nothing will let you ignore the wind altogether.

I guess in summary, it's not like duck hunting.  Blaze orange or a white t-shirt will ruin your day.  wearing the same thing for coyotes and you'll still be able to get them in close if you watch the wind, put the sun at your back, sit in the shade and hold still.  If you've got camo though, wear it.  Certainly doesn't hurt.

(Edited by songdog at 2:19 pm on Dec. 14, 2001)

songdog

Reaction score
One more thing... Gerry Blair made a video series a number of years ago of himself coyote hunting.  To make the point of movement vs. camo he went out in a full red Santa suit (pattent leather boots and all) and proceeded to call in coyotes.  I'm not sure what possessed him to go ala Santa rather than just street clothes (he talked about doing it naked so let's be thankful for the Santa suit) but he made a pretty good point.

Let's just say that the number one rule for the coyote-o-rama is "no naked coyote calling"... I don't care what kind of point you're trying to make.

Mojave

Reaction score
Songdog, that's just the kind of "street clothes" photo I was talking about.
Responses on movement and wind are well taken, and I aint a' gonna go huntin' nekkid - don't you worry! Wouldn't want the jackrabbits rolling around giggling, and giving me away. Don't know about spending up a bunch of my kids' inheritance on Mossey Oak stuff, but maybe I'll just try out some Desert Storm tri-color pants, to go with my hat and PASGT vest cover.  

joatmon

Reaction score
I was bowhunting for deer and I found this spot I liked but there was no cover for me in my treestand so I went up about 25ft. Mind you I'm in a hardwood forrest. This coyote came along and looked right up at me. He wasn't alarmed but looked up, turned and went around me. I gave it a couple of kisses and it would stop but then it was on it's way again. Bob

hunter

Reaction score
I talked to a vet on this one they see in black and white so like the t-rex if you dont move they might loose you. But remember that the yotes nose is 40 times better than ours so if he catches a sent of you there gone and you wont even know they were there.
So yes were camo it will brake you up and i suggest a sent cover like skunk if you can find it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I don't know, I've called up turkeys before wearing bright hunter orange vest and hat while bored deer hunting. Some landed in my lap and some took off at first sight of me. I've watched my Dad do it it in one of them orange coveralll suits where he looked like a big carrot.

Motion will bust you every time but camo also breaks up the big blob or profile. I think I'll stick to using camo and not wonder why the yote ran off before he was downwind. Plus, how else can I justify all the money I've spent on camo right?

Top Bottom