Camoflauge Idea

Rooter

Reaction score
I had an idea about comflauge for my cases.  I can download any of the patterns off the web (realtree, advantage, mossy oak,etc.) I will get some of the full sheet sticker paper or even white contact paper and just print the pattern out on my color laser printer.  When I have the box covered I will just spray it with a clear low gloss polyurethane.  Anyone tried this? If you have I would love to see pics.

Thanks

bat

Reaction score
Hey now that might work pretty good.  Let us know how you come out with it Rooter.

spotty

Reaction score
Good idea Rooter.      I've thought about using camo fabric and attaching it with contact cement and sealing it with the polyurethane.  The low gloss poly still has a bit of shine to it.  I think the shine is the biggest obsticle.  I use the ammo cans for the housing of my cams, so moisture is a concern  for me.   Moisture probably wouldn't be a major concern for those that use plastic housings for their cams. The camo fabric is relatively inexpensive and would have no shine if it wasn't sealed or coated with any thing. Wal-Mart, as well as fabric shops, has different pattern's of camo.  I've also thought of the cheap plastic ponchos in a camo pattern, but they are shinny too.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I tried this with the following problems.

1) unless you have a color laser printer, ink from a jet printer will run run-blead-wash off.

2) most inks and toners are not UV tollerent and will fade quickly

3) most transfers are glossy.

Still want to try iron on transfers. That may stand a chance but are more expensive. Right now I'm going to continue to use paint.

Butch

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Several years ago my son was heavy into radio controlled airplanes.  They use a mylar film called MONO to cover wings.  This stuff has heat activated cement on one side and shrinks when heated.  They use an electric iron and a hair dryer type of heat gun.  Man this stuff would be great if it was available in flat camo color.  I guess I'm dreaming.

Rooter

Reaction score
I thought I had an original idea.  How about this idea.  I searched for it and couldn't find it.  I see a lot of old bird feeders made out of wood.  What if a cam was mounted in one of those?  The bird house couldn't have a perch on it or you might get a roll of bird pics.  Something like this.

Most guys will walk right past a bird house like this.

TmKarren

Reaction score
I've thought about it.  That way you could put it right out in the open.  The DNR have a ton of these thing around here.  It would be neat to make.  Just make the front, or back open.  Put your game camera in the bird house.  Put it on something walla.  You would have to make a  couple holes for the camera.  make a duplex.  Tee Hee Hee.  Did you find the post about your Printed camo?

(Edited by TmKarren at 6:39 am on Mar. 11, 2002)

Rooter

Reaction score
I got a desktop wallpaper from Mossyoak.com that I am going to try.  I like the camoclad, but that stuff is expensive unless someone has a source.

Guy Wire

Reaction score
How about taking actual camo fabric and spray-glue (for automotive headliners and such).  Spray the fabric and apply it to the cam????????

I'll betcha this one is already being used.

MBullism

Reaction score
My first cam is in an ammo box and I "squeegied" silicone over the whole thing and applied camo fabric.  After it sets up it's pretty durable.  Only in a few spots where the silicone bled thru is it slightly shiny...

After I handle it I spray it down with scent away for any odors in the cloth  :fart:

M

deerdad

Reaction score
I stuck with the cloth tape and then sprayed
it with dull coat. I've had the can for quite
a few years and don't know if it is still made. I found it with model paints. It was made to put over military models to give them
a real flat finish. So far the tape is holding up and not peeling off and its been on since fall.

Greg

Welby

Reaction score
Here's something you can do...

Have you ever worked with fiberglass?  If so, then you know that to apply fiberglass cloth to a surface you first wet it with resin and then apply it to the surface carefully.  Well, you can do the same with camo material.

For a really good and trick looking finish, purchase your favorite camo material, preferrably a material that is UV resistant and several tubes of clear slow curing epoxy.  First, cut the material in pieces that will adequately cover the camera housing.  Next, using a disposable paint brush, spread a thin coat of epoxy over all the surface areas of the housing to be covered.  Finally, lay the cloth on the still wet epoxy surface and finish with one or two more layers of epoxy over the cloth.

Do this carefully and you will have a smooth finish.  If it is too glossy, scuff the surface slightly with a Scotch brite pad.

No, I've not done this, but the principal is the same as laying fiberglass and should work just as well.  I have had this idea verified by a well known fiberglass company as well.  I was going to use this method to camo a duckboat I made, but I never got around to it.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom