Camper shell and dogs

mojavejohn

Reaction score
I'm going to put a camper shell on my truck. I'm thinking about getting a boot on it so that I can open both windows and let the cool air from inside the truck into the back to help keep my dog cool. Has anyone tried this? How did it work for you? If not, any other suggestions on keeping your dog cool in the back when you are driving?

Frank X. Morris

Reaction score
Howdy mojavejohn,
Ugly dog Hunting has a fan that is used for crates and kennels that might work. It's on the accessories page of their website.

Wild1

Reaction score
Most shells have options for sliding windows and a front fold-down window (in conjunction with your trucks sliding rear window), making a boot sort of obsolete. Portable battery operated fans are also an option. Good luck!

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I never had to deal with that issue much because I always had my dog crated in a SUV. But I still cracked open the rear windows jus a tiny bit to assure backflow to the rear. Whatever options you try I suggest you place a thermometer in the shell to eliminate guesswork -- good luck to you and doggie, and have fun!

dthome

Reaction score
I had a booted camper shell years ago. It will remove the paint on your cab down to the metal from friction. No avoiding it.

wingshooter-kj

Reaction score
Good ventilation is crucial, not only to keep the dogs cool. I’ve herd crazy story’s about carbon monoxide poisoning. Probably not a legit worry but still something to be mindful of

Top Bottom