Camper shell

deadducks

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Browning, or sportsman model camper shell on their truck?

I am in the market for a camper shell and I have seen the ones that have a storage tray, and locking device that pulls down from the ceiling.

I plan on putting on a shell, and getting a truck vault to carrying my hunting gear in.

Also looking at the Leer Journeyman shell.

Any thoughts and suggestions on campers shells is appreciated.
Dan

GM4X

Reaction score
deadducks- I'm not familiar with any of those you mentioned. Are they a "camper" style shell? Or just a shell (many people use the term "camper-shell" meaning just a plain shell)? I have an aluminum shell on my truck. It has full-length side boxes (nearly 8") that are seperate from the interior of the bed, accessible from outside. Tons of space, and are keyed from the outside.

Downside is, the sideboxes "protrude" inwards, so I lose some bed-space, which doesn't bother me. Upside- it's secure, weathertite, and no one can see what's in the sideboxes (or the bed, because I got one without a rear hatch window).

Mine also has an aluminum (as is the entire shell) ladder-rack on top, which I can carry my canoe on. If I lived in a state that allowed use of motor-vehicle while hunting, it'd be a good basis for a shooting-platform.

Not sure if this helps, again, not knowing if you're looking for a shell with beds & such in it. I've slept in the back of my truck many times.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Foulshot has the Leer camper shell with the Browning package. I've sent him an email about your post. Check in later tonight.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Deadducks,

I have a very similiar rig - cab high Snugtop shell with a plastic pullout tray system for tools and hunting stuff. The only slight drawback is camping in the back. The 6" - 8" you loose with the tray cuts down on the interior ceiling clearance. I'm 5'11" and it's not a big enough issue for me to change. If you were 6'5", it might be a hassle. Best thing I did was to add a 12V power port and dome light to the shell area. Real handy to have light & power back there. Good luck.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Dan,

Myself and a couple of buddies all have Leer cab hi shell, no problems at all and about $500.00 less than Snug Top

deadducks

Reaction score
Than
ks for the replies guys.

Fullsack can you ask Foulshot to give me his pros/cons on the shell.

Thanks again for all your help.
Dan

Tree Doc

Reaction score
Mine is a SnugTop Super Sport I think it's called. The Lear/Browning model is similar in appearance but the window installations aren't as clean. I have a TruckVault installed as well. The front slider folds inward so you can get to both sides to clean it. I'm not sure if Lear does that, if they do, get it, you'll want it!

deadducks

Reaction score
Tree Doc,

Nice looking shell.

Where on the coast are you?

I grew up in Nipomo and went to A.G.

I am comming up there today. Thursday to pick up some furniture, and staying at my parents for the night. If possible I would like to take a look at your truck/shell. I am leaving Norco (Corona) around 1300 arriving there abour 1630. Depending on S.B. traffic.

Dan

Tree Doc

Reaction score
NO WAY!!!
Small world
You know the neighborhood across the street from what used to be the Rose Victorian by AGHS? That's where I live. You're more than welcome to swing by and have a peek at my shell. I know the SnugTops are a bit more spendy but I'm a stickler for detail and the windows on that Lear just bugged me with all those aluminum frames and rivets that you could see from the inside. Otherwise I'm sure thay are a good shell. I'll zip you an email with my address and cell # if you have a chance to get by.

foulshot

Reaction score
DD, sorry it has taken me so long to post on this. I looked at both the leer and the snugtops when I was shopping around. I went with the leer because I thought it fit my truck better. I like the fact the shell hangs down over the bed rails. No chance for some water to get in or someone to pry inbetween the bed and shell. I have never had any problems with any of the windows in the shell. I would have liked the double handle in the back, but it wasn't available the model I purchased. I opted for the Browning Package. It includes the overhead storage box, clothes hanger, front battery operated light, and adjustable racks on top of the shell. It's a Yakima rack on top and fits all Yakima accessories. About the only thing I am unhappy with is the soft boot. It lets in water and air, but not a whole lot. When I wash the truck I get some water on the rear cab window and just have to clean the window from inside the shell. The shell comes lined with "carpet", and it seems to be well insulated.
Overall I am very happy with my purchase. So far there are no complaints that I have had to go back to Leer with.

sportyg

Reaction score
I'm like shot, I have a truck tent. easy to set up and take down with more head room then a shell...

Top Bottom