Campgrounds/Govt Shut Down

signguy

Reaction score
Was thinking about this weekend and the upcoming rifle opener for D11. I have been/am planning to overnight this weekend in the National forest- in a campground. I wonder if the forest service will kick us out? My guess is that there won't be any rangers around to ask us to leave but on the other hand an electronic sign went up yesterday that reads "all named campgrounds closed." I realize the gates will be locked and we probably can't drive into a campground- which is fine.

I guess the other option is to stay outside a developed campground. Just hate to set up and then have to move in the middle of the night...

Thoughts?

carhex

Reaction score
I was going to have my wife drop us off also in D11. I doubt they will hike into the one we want to stay at.

signguy

Reaction score
Hadn't thought about getting the wife to drop me off- that's a good idea! While scouting last weekend I found three different groups of hikers camping in developed campgrounds- but they had hiked several miles in from a the highway. For sure no one is going to check anything they have to hike into!

g791

Reaction score
I was on blue ridge yesterday and every camp was open, so all others should be fine.

signguy

Reaction score
Headed up into the forest today for a few hours and I will update my findings with regards to the drive in campgrounds... I will also try and stop and talk to a forest service fire/leo if I see one and ask about their plans with regards to campers...

Revo2811

Reaction score
I was driving around wrightwood yesterday
All the campsites I drove in to had a letter said some thing about federal shutdown

signguy

Reaction score
I found some campgrounds open and some closed behind gates. All had a letter that said closed due to govt shutdown and that no services were available.

signguy

Reaction score
D11 was pretty much locked up tight on Saturday morning. Lots of LEO in the area too.

As a side note: It was an interesting hunt this weekend- Saw more deer sign in my area than I have ever come across. However, Saturday morning the deer were just gone. :) In five hours I came across a single deer- and it was a mile away.
After returning to camp, unloading the gun and locking it in the truck- a nice 3x3 literally walks right into camp.
It was a great hunt and the weather could not have been better. Will be back out there later this week.

Top Bottom