camtrakker problem

B

brian bearden

i have a 97' camtrakker with a olympus infiniti camera. this past fall the film advance broke in the camera and the people at camtrakker told me it would cost the price of a new camtrakker unit to fix it. i know it's not that complicated of a system and i'm not going to pay another $430. the wires on the old camera have accidently been pulled loose so i cannot see where each wire went. there are 4 wires though, 2 i know go to the c battery pack and the other 2 go to the sensor to trigger the camera to shoot. does anyone have any info on how to wire up an inexpensive camera($50 or less) with date and time printed to this unit? any info would be appreciated.

thanks

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
You can wire a cannon owl Af in its place,it only uses two wires to operate the cam. I have bought them on ebay for ($8.95 for the cheapest and $36.50 for the highest). You can get all the wiring info. off of Jesse's Hunting Page.If you need the link let me know and I'll look it up. Good Luck.  
:bounce-green:

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Brian Bearden, I have a Camtrakker circa 2000 or so, in which I was able to successfully replace the camera (Yashica T4) with an Owl PF.  Obviously, our models are different, so my help may be limited, but I'm sure you can replace the camera.  If you'll check out the thread Camtrakker Repaired, it may be of some help to you if your camera is the Infinite Mini Dlx model.  Look it over and reply, I will help you in any way I can.  

Do you mean the wires pulled out of the camera, or the board?  Would be nice to see a picture of the camera and inside of the Camtrakker, so that I might notice any differences (especially wiring).

CharlesM

Reaction score
On my cantracker the black is common, yellow refresh/autofocus, blue shutter.The flash stopped working on mine .I'm in the same shape you are . MSFelton has been helping me figure out how to get a Owl PF to work in mine.Is your camera the Infinity Mini DLX like mine, if it is the flash hole is going to be on the wrong side for  the Owl cams.I think I'm just going to keep lookin for another Olympus infinity Mini DLX.

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Come on, you mean you're not willing to cut another hole in that thing? :)

I did a simple Yahoo search and came up with a place in British Columbia that has the Infinity Mini DLX listed for $110 if you're interested.  The non-DLX model was $86, and I suspect it would wire the same, but not have a Date back.

B

brian bearden

thanks for the info. i should be able to cut a hole in the opposite side and put some plexiglass in it. by using the canon AF owl will i not be able to use the c batteries? i believe these batteries kept the other camera from loosing time/date and picture number. i can't find the front of the camera, but i believe it was a mini DLX.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
On the owl AF (round switch)it has an internal battery for the date & time. You can use the "c" batteries if when you have the cam apart you solder the wires on the pos and neg bat terminals. I just use 2 AA batteries in mine and you don't have to wire in the "c" batteries. They last about 20 rolls of film. Good luck.

:bounce-green:

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 9:07 pm on Mar. 21, 2002)

INshedpicker

Reaction score
TNDEERHUNTER, by "C" batteries, he means  (4) "C" batteries, which = 6 volts, so I would strongly suggest ignoring that red wire.  The "C" batteries will power everything but the OWLs, which as TNDEERHUNTER stated, run fine on their own batteries.  

I am not familiar with the older Camtrakkers that supplied "backup" power to the Infinity, but would still like to see a pic of the Camtrakker's wiring, and solder points on the MINI DLX, if someone could post one, so I might learn a little more about it.

B

brian bearden

sorry, i have no way to post a pic of the wiring, but the wires were pulled off of the camera. the wires are still connected to the board. i believe i may have the same problem as mentioned in the camtrakker repair segment. i have the same camera and camtrakker. any other suggestions?

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Unfortunately, those Mini DLXs are few and far between, so if I were you, I'd find a
non-PF Owl (w/date if that's what you want) and use the two-wire setup (your black and blue wires).  That's probably your best bet.  I don't think you'll lose any picture quality in the process.

(Edited by msfelton at 8:32 am on Mar. 23, 2002)

B

brian bearden

do yall think the af will work with the 3 wire system on my old camtrakker unit? i have the wiring described earlier (green-shutter, yellow-auto focus/flash, black-commong) also one extra wire which goes to the "c" batteries for the motion sensor.

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I think it would work just fine, but I don't believe you'll really gain anything with the extra effort of throwing in that third wire for autofocus/flash (refresh).  The two-wire (blue & black) hookup will probably be fine with any OWL listed on the modification pages other than the PF.

In your case, a refresh would be necessary if you were to insist on using a PF just because it can take sooo long to charge up the "Power Flash" before it can fire.  By hooking up a separate refresh wire to the Autofocus/flash feature, it keeps the flash charged up so that it minimizes the time it takes for the camera to fire.  But, unfortunately, as CharlesM has experienced, adding the refresh wire to a PF apparently isn't enough in itself...it still requires additional circuitry for this model Camtrakker.

Don't make it harder that it has to be.  Go with a two wire non-PF OWL, and get  that thing back in the woods!  Oh yeah, and cut another hole in that thing :)

Advertisement

Top Bottom