Camtrakker suffers second attack!

INshedpicker

Reaction score
It was only for the fine folks here that I was able to repair a raccoon ravaged Camtrakker over six months ago.  A coon (I assume) was then successful in ruining the original $200+ Yashica T4 camera in my Camtrakker.  Well, I've had a second major attack.  

Yesterday, I went to check the repaired Camtrakker which was only 100 yards behind my folks' house in a fence row that overlooked a corn field at the edge of a small woods.  I had decided to put it 8ft or so high in a tree for the first time, but all I found when I arrived was the rope I had tied it on with, which appeared to have been cut.  It took me a few minutes to find the thing, as it was over 6 feet away from the tree, nearly in the standing corn.  Upon inspection, I found that the camera had only taken 1 lonely picture.  Evidently, when the unit hit the ground, all the batteries were jarred loose, killing power to the unit.  Also found a good sized hole had been chewed completely through the lid on one corner.  Luckily(?), I was using the metal bracket this time which keeps the lid on or I may have lost another camera.  There were even gouges in the metal bracket from the critter's teeth.  The screen covering the PIR got a little chewed up.  And the button switch that changes the test/ready modes was missing, leaving only the end of the ribbon wire that it was once connected to hangin from the remaining hole.

Other than all that, it seems to work, I just can't change to "ready" mode without the button.  Now I'm considering removing all the guts from the Camtrakker and puting them in a different enclosure.  I think raccoons must not get enough film in their diet, and the Camtrakker's lid is not air-tight, letting the sweet smell of Konica 400 float through the air to their noses.  Anyone want some raccoons?  I knew I shoud've bought that trap...of course, bears climb trees too, hmmmm...

Does anyone know how to deal with ribbon wire?  Or should I just try to replace it back to the circuit board?

(Edited by msfelton at 8:33 pm on July 23, 2002)

Beerdonga

Reaction score
Ive also been having trouble with coons attacking my home brews.  They are mainly just ripping up the outside of the boxes though.  I started using extra large zip ties to hang my cameras up with and they seem to be holding up.  I was pissed when I got a 36 roll of just 3 fat coons on it, now it seems that they are pissed at me for taking their pictue.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Varmints love chewing wire insulation, so it may not be the film smell alone msfelton.

Coons are cute the first roll of film, then they are annoying the 2nd roll. 3rd roll it's war.

On the ribbon cable, any trashed computer or printer will have some to rip out and cut it to the number of runs you need. Rat Shack if you can't find any free laying around.  Maybe wait for the boss to go on vacation, what's he need a printer for anyway right?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
That reminds me .....

I had an encounter last fall bowhunting up north, where I actually thought this coon was a bear! I was hunting from the ground near a small pond, it was early morning and I could only see about 15 yards. I heard something coming down the hillside, so I go my bow ready just in case it was a deer. I see the shadow approaching, still unaware of what it was? At about 5 feet it stopped to drink some water. So I decided to adjust my bow for a shot, in case it charged! As I did that, I attracted it's attention and it started heading my way! That was enough, I pulled back, and let one fly, pinning it for a second to the oak tree behind the coon! He bolted through the pond and back up into the woods. I had to sit there for a minute saying " That was the biggest frickin coon I have ever seen!" After finishing up the morning hunt, I went back to get my buddy and we started tracking the animal. After about 500 yards, the blood ran out. I'm no expert, but I would say that coon had to be at least 50-60 lbs. Wisconsin does hold the world record raccoon, at 75 lbs, or at least it did at one time!

davered1

Reaction score
75 lbs!!!! that was probably a small bear!!

man thats a hefty coon

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Well, what I kinda meant about the ribbon wire is, does it solder somewhat like regular wire??? or should I replace it all with regular wire???

My cameras sure are having an awfull lot of bear encounters....considering I'm in Indiana.  Time to give the IDNR a call!

Top Bottom