Camtrakker?

younghunter

Reaction score
I have saved up enough money to buy a Camtrakker.  Do any of you own one?  What are some good/bad things about them?  Also I got a question.  Where I live there isn't many trees, just sagebrush, so can I mount the camera on the large sagebrush(some is as thick as an aspen tree) or will I have to put in a post and hang my camera on that?  Also the wind is always blowing too so will that set off the camera?  Will cattle damage my camera too by rubbing on it?

Thanks for all your help

Ernesto Lopez  

(Edited by younghunter at 8:29 pm on Oct. 16, 2001)

horndog

Reaction score
why buy one when you can build one for less than half the price? All the info is on Jesses web site to make your own. All the guys here have either built or in the process of building and the tech support is awesome. Have a problem? post it here. someone will answer.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
YH >> I don't own one.

But if I were you I'd make 3 of my own or make one and use the leftover money for something else.

Good Luck.

coyote

Reaction score
Yes! If your going to buy a commerial cam...get the Camtrakker brand.  I have had a couple different Brand name ones and several failed homebrew models. I sold my Camtrakker[used it two seasons with the original batts. and lost fifty bucks on it] and built 4 Cams with the money.
No trees
Jessie and JP have built stakes to mount thier cams in the windy condition you could do the same.
Cows
Damn cows anyway!  I got 24 red-whiteface pics just the other day.  They won't hurt the cams just slobber off a whole roll....yoteee'

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Welcome Back Yotee

must be too cold up there to work again

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Ernesto,
You'll definately want a sturdy mount for the cam if you have lots of wind. The cam moving around can cause false pics.
>>>>
Well, I've *used* a few commercial trail-cams (never bought one for myself)  Also know a few research biologists who have used some other brands.
Here's my opinions along with various things I've been told....

Cam-Trakker (not from personal experience) Pros: Takes good pics, fairly easy to use, fair batt life, compact & lightweight.  Cons: Built-in security is not that good, needs "D" cell batts, fairly flimsy materials used for housing, can't use that expensive T-4 apart from camera, the T-4 camera itself takes great pics but is kind of "cheap" feeling (not my words! ) ,  one of the more expensive cams on market.

Some notes on other brands.....
Trail-Master (assorted models)  Pros: An advanced cam with lots of features not found in any other cam, can interface with computer for data download, statistical analysis software available, options to select sensitivity of sensors, takes good pics, good batt life, can use cam removed from unit.   Cons:  Sort of difficult to use if you don't memorize the instructions (or carry them with you) , easily damaged, no housing for camera itself, not even an attempt at security, more than one piece, price!

Crow Cameras (a custom manufacturer - not from personal experience)  Pros: Good pics, easy to use, can use cam removed from unit, fair security, adjustable sensitivity, good batt life, very sturdy, lots of optional stuff.  Cons: One of the more expensive cams, built on a "custom" basis and take time to get, fairly heavy if you need to carry several at a time, sensor range not as long as T-Master or Cam-Trakker.

Buckshot35 (older model - only used briefly) Pros:  Fairly easy to use, decent pics, more rugged than T-master or Cam-Trakker.  Cons:  **Battery life short**  larger size, pain to open.
>>>>
>>>>
So my final opinion..... Take some time reading Jesses page and the TN Deer forums older posts.  Ask some questions when you can't figure something out.  BUILD 'EM YOURSELF!!!  It's a lot of fun and you'll get pics just as good or better than the commercial cams.  Also the satisfaction of having "home-brewed" your own cam is priceless!!
>>>>
>>>>
Oh yeah...There are a few "home-brewed" cams on E-bay at a reasonable price (made by some of this forums contributors - no, that's NOT a plug for myself!!

Archilochus

JohnnyP

Reaction score
yoteeeeeeeeee (said in my best howling voice)  :)

Been thinking about you, how you been?  Long time no see.

Tell us some stories.  How did your hunting season go this year?

-JP

Bob R

Reaction score
There is nothing to building one.  I have less than $75 in this one, my second.  I have built about 5 others for friends.  Below are the pics.  If they come out in the order that I think I posted them, the first is from the front,  the second is from the top looking straight down, and the third is angling from the back.  Lets you see what I did to the inside.

Bowfever

Reaction score
Hey Bob R

I have an ammo can just like that and was wanting to use it but did not have a good way to get holes into it.  How did you do it???

Also did I see that right did you use a phone jack to connect the PIR to the Cam??  If so, clever I had not thought of that...

Bowfever

Bob R

Reaction score
Bow,

I am an electrician, so I have hole punches for metal.  I used a 3/4 inch Greenlee conduit hole punch.  It makes a real clean hole. The bad thing is that they are kinda expensive for just punching a hole or 2.  I think they run ~$50 or so.

As for the tele cord, it sure makes it nice for changing film and such.  I can pull the camera out and not have to worry about it getting tangled up in anything.  This one has a 12 ft cord, the other has a 7 footer.  I just used what I had laying around.

(Edited by Bob R at 9:34 pm on Oct. 17, 2001)

coyote

Reaction score
Tin,
I stop in every no and then.  Just to check up on ya.  Man...I figured you'd be beyond this simple gadjetry by now and be cloning women or building a space capsule or sumpthin'.  [grin] Don't go and burn yer self out now and glad to see the old gang still involved.ps the cold don't stop me but heat does.
JP  Howdy right back at cha!   I been busy of coarse.  Got yotee cams spread all over the place...can't hardly keep track of 'em.
Huntings good... Slammed a 180gross Mulie with the bow see if I can post a pic here ...start a new thread and quit hoggin' younghunters topicand you??

younghunter

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone.  How long does it take to make a homemade one, and where I live I dont have many electronics stores, just Radio Shack.  Do they sell everything I need?

davered1

Reaction score
younghunter

All I have in this town is a radioshack to.Everything you need to build your cam can be bought there.I order the parts from my store and they come in 1 week.My first cam took about 4 hours to do all the electrical stuff (I didn't know a diode from a resistor),then you just have to put it in a container.

here is a list of components to build a cam
1 - 275 -324B toggle switch
1 - 275-1596 toggle cap (has 1-red,1-black in pack)
1 - 49-425 PIR (CANADIAN PART #49-7048)
1 - 276-1101A diode
1 - 275-232 reed relay
1 - 274-1565A jack
1 - 274-1568C  plug
1 - 276-270A  LED with resistor
1 - 275-620A mini centre off toggle

Give one a try if you need help just post here,these guys know their stuff.

this is the page with directions to modify the Radio Shack 49-425 PIR.

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/rs-49-425.html

GOOD LUCK

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom