Can a slug just knock a deer out?

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I forgot to share this one last season. At work last week, it popped in to my head, and it baffled me emmensely.
To set the scene, my buddy in Ohio was hunting the opening day of shotgun week. Rain was pouring down, and he was in a Double Bull. The main focus was to fill the cooler. About 9 a.m., 2 doe pop out in to the field approximately 50 yards away. He levels the shotgun, and rips off one shot. The doe drops immediately. He called me about 5 minutes later to say he had a deer down, and was giving her a bit more time, even though he could see her lying where she dropped. Come about 930, he exits the blind, and turns to zip up the door. As he starts for the deer, she pops up, and runs away at top speed. He said that initailly, he saw red on her side that was hit, and some hair on the ground. No blood had pooled.
He searched a bit, and never found her. By her actions, his thought was that it was a graze. Come about 3 days later, another guy on their property finds a dead doe 1/4 mile away from the last area they searched. My buddy heads out to investigate, and it seems to be the same deer. There was not an entry wound, but a gash like wound similar to a graze.
One part of the mystery ended up solved. My friend, a fantastic shot, had grabbed another guys handfull of shells from the trunk. The difference in shells caused about a 5 inch rise in the point of impact. Lesson learned.

But what about the demise of the doe? Why would she stay completely out for almost 30 minutes (legs out) and then have the ability to jump up and run full speed?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Yes, that's entirely possible. You didn't say where the graze was. Head? Shoulder? Neck? It's also possible (at least it's conceivable to me) that she fainted from the combination of the graze and the report. At any rate, what strikes me as odd is why she died if there wasn't a significant wound. Sounds like there's more to know.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Same reason why a gut shot deer might runn 100 yards and lay down. Leave him long enough and he will die right there. Push him and you probably will never find him. I bet the deer heard you buddy coming. Double Bull zippers are loud.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom