can you pattern turkeys?

KIDKY

Reaction score
wondering what you guys' thoughts were on this.  is it possible to pattern these birds?

Possum

Reaction score
Gobblers and hens will sometimes get into a pattern of roosting in the same location and feeding near the same food sources.  This is especially true depending on the species.  Easterns from my experiences will roost near the same spot if they are not disturbed.  Gobblers will often have strut zones that they will frequent most every day - again if they are not disturbed over and over.  Most every animal species has patterns (unless they really have no brain at all - viruses, bacteria, etc....)  Most turkey seasons are so short that if you can get accurate MRI (most recent information) it SHOULD be good for at least a few days to a week.  The number one rule in turkey hunting though is to expect the unexpected.  I would guess that deer pattern easier than birds do.

ohhunter

Reaction score
Last year I saw these birds fly off a ridge every morning down in this corn field. They gobbled till the hens showed up then they would leave the same place every time.Too bad for them.BANG!!!

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I had a spot on public ground where the birds gobbled on the roost, came partway up the ridge, then worked their way back down and across an old reclaimation. I've been able to wait them out in the reclaimed area after hearing them go though their pattern, and setting up, catching them as they worked up the ridge from the roost. They've been too consistant not to have had a pattern they stick with. That's still my ace in the hole when all else fails. What makes it change is the hunting pressure as the season progesses. Plus I know of another fellow that seems to know their pattern also. and he was there first. Professional ettiquite, if you will. But if he's not there when I am, I'll try it again.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I have seen flocks that you could set your watch by. There is a field I pass on the way to work that always has birds. They pitch into the field and then feed south through the field.  If they are too far along, I know I am late for work!!  They literally can be predicted within 5 miutes.

I have patterned birds in a lot of areas in Norther CA, and the key is that they cant be disturbed.   Turkeys are impossible to pattern when harassed.  WHen they are left alone, it is easy.

Lankyman

Reaction score
KIDKY,

I have seen a distinct pattern over the years that I have been in the woods.  Some of my hunting spots have good roost areas that birds will be in for 3 - 5 days in a row if something or someone doesn't spook them out.  Also, I have been able to pattern certain areas as to where the birds will feed through.  I have taken more than half of my birds in the past 20+ years by learning where the birds want to go & getting setup in a spot where I can use the surrounding terrain to cause the birds to pass my setup within shotgun range.  Finding a large swamp bottom is the best tool that I have used here in SC.  Use the way a creek or river turns toward a ridge to force the birds to pass your tree while they feed by in the bottom.  Hope this helps someone.  I have taken quite a few birds this way after getting setup & calling hard for 3 - 5 minutes without stopping & then stretching out completely flat on my back with my camo gloves, face net & hat on & taking a nap.  I have eaised up many times and the birds are standing there within range.  I learned a long time ago that if you are going to sleep any, just go ahead and lay flat on the ground.  It is a lot more comfortable.  Don't set at the with your head laid over to the side.  It is not worth hurting your neck after you set there for a few hors.

Tominator

Reaction score
Lankyman is wise!!! The birds i hunt in SC are fairly predictable since they're on private landand don't get too much pressure. I just got back from MI and the birds there are highly patternable! All they have for woods are small woodlots surrounded by corn fields. Everytime I would get on one I would get hoodoo'ed by a tractor though. I think next year I will plan that trip a little later in the season, after the corn is in the ground!
Tominator

Lankyman

Reaction score
For me, many deer & turkeys have met their demise over the years after a well placed nap.

:laffin-yellow:    :laffin-yellow:    :laffin-yellow:

It never hurts to relax in the woods from time to time.  You just have to know when & where to do it!!!!!!!!!

killinturks

Reaction score
i think its easier to get away with while turkey hunting, but while deer hunting the kids gotta wake me up and say"hey pate,do you want to shoot this one"

Top Bottom