Can you see guzzlers from aerial maps?

songdog

Reaction score
Is it possible to see guzzlers from the large aerial photographs?  I was out at Randsburg today looking for guzzlers and it was pretty tough.  I'd like to think that I'd be able to make out the guzzlers from a picture but don't know if it would be too small?  The one that I did find was about 30' square.  The terrain is also really rocky and a 30'x30' "clear" area in the right place is either a guzzler or a road or something.  Just don't know if I can make that out from a pic?

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
For us people on the East coast... What's a guzzler?

Todd

grtwythunter

Reaction score
It's a manmade watering hole for wildlife. Usually a large tank buried in the ground with an awning over it that leans to one side. the awning drains into the tank which drains to a small box with a float in it to keep a constant water level. Out here in the dry west they are essential to help the critters survive. They also make for great hunting spots.     Scott

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Good question. I belong to the OC chapter of QU and we wanted to do a guzzler survey but the info on the old topo maps can be sketchy at best. I took a Saturday to try to find some of the guzzlers up near Saddleback in the Cleavland NF and the brush is so thick in areas where the guzzlers are supposed to be that I'm not sure if you could see them. One thing might be to look at historical air photos. Whittier College has the Fairchild collection which covers a large portion of southern California from the 1920's to 1965.

Possum

Reaction score
Good question ToddP.  I was wondering the same thing.  Thought for a while it was one of those drinks from the 7-11 or quickstop.  Wondered what kind of promo game was up if people were looking for large cups in the wilderness with photo maps.HA HA HA HE HE HE:laffin-yellow:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Here is a  concrete guzzler apron in the Kaibab NF  Arizona. The aprons can be 20 feet across to catch the rain that then runs into a catch tank which is usually underground. The water tank is buried to the left of where you see the water where the apron drains to.

The is a float which keeps the level in the drink basin at the right level. The steps are to help the animal crawl out if they go for a baptism.

This is a huge above ground fiberglass rain catch instead of the concrete apron rain catch. The water tank is underneath and the water basin is on the left out of view.

Mojave

Reaction score
I worked on a survey/mapping team for the USGS for a few summers while I was in school, so I got fairly familiar with the aerial photo-to-map conversion data. The features that are added to an updated topo map after an aerial or satellite survey vary, depending upon the reason for the survey. The concrete apron of a guzzler might look a lot like an old foundation, and would not usually be added to a map update. The molded plastic and fiberglass catchment guzzlers, like the one shown above, are made in sizes down to those that can be hauled in the back of a pickup. Most of those, even the larger ones, will be unmarked. The best bets will be trying to do what Swiss Lad has, and look at aerial photos directly, and match the look of known guzzlers to similar features on photos of areas you wish to hunt, then checking those areas out on the ground; And, try to pick up as many leads as you can from friends, and from sites like this one.

Top Bottom