Canon AF-7s camera question

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Archilochus, Yotee or anyone who can help this guy out from England.

David Mort <dmort@Celestica.com> wrote:

Hi
I am in the process of making my trail cam here in
the UK.  I have already sorted out the PIR which is a standard burglar one which I have modified , and
gives a closed contact when the PIR is tripped. It
draws 5mA and gives a 3 second pulse.  Anyway the main question is, here in the UK I can buy a Sure Shot AF-7s with the added option of the time stamp, this is on the QD models only.

In the view finder there is a green LED which lights
when the camera is ready to take pic's, but I do not think that this LED goes out when left.  How does this
compare to the Owl model, does the LED stay on and wouldn't it be a better idea to disconnect the led thus reducing the current when left on.

Thanks for your time
Dave Mort
UK

Archilochus

Reaction score
I thought the AF-7s was the same as the Owl PF.  My instruction manuals cover all these models -  Owl PF, AF-7s, and Prima AF-9s - so I figured they were the same.

If the cams are the same, maybe his cam has a solder bridge between the shutters "common" and  "1/2 press" contacts.  That would cause the green LED to stay on.  Didn't I read a post the other day about someone finding a small bridge of solder in their PF circuit board that caused strange rewind behavior?

If the cams are different models, I'd disconncet the LED to save power.  Had to do a similar operation on my Fuji AF-60's.

Archilochus

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Archilochus,

Yes the AF-7 is the european version of the older Canon Owl. I didn't ask him but I think he hasn't bought the camera yet, he just noted the green AF LED staying on. I'd disconnect it too if it stays on all the time.

Isn't this the camera you had problems with in some early models that would shut down and you had to manually reset the on/off switch?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi spectr17,
'Smoothbore' noted in a recent post that he saw an AF-7s at Wal-mart and that it was the same as the Owl PF. I thought the AF-7s was the Owl PF, but renamed for European distribution.

The cam that I have that needs to be reset with the power switch is the oldest Owl model, the black one with the small rubber buttons on the front instead of the big plastic knob.  I don't think that model is produced or for sale new any more.

Archilochus

d91

Reaction score
Want to be really confused?

I bought an owl/date (old black with rotary switch) from ritz camera yesterday and it came in a box with AF-7 on it.

D

Daveuk

Hi
I would just like to thank everyone for their replays,
I have now found the answer , the AF-7s camera that I looked at in the store was faulty, the green LED stayed on all the time. There must have been a short on the top pcb as Archilochus said.
I have now bought a new AF-7s date in the UK and it works just like you said.
Also it is the same as the owl PF model.
So here is the next Question
On page 40 of the manual it says This camera is designed to be used with negative film only.  Therefore, slide film cannot be used.
Why ?  Has anyone tried slide film, and what results did they get.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
I am curious to know the answer to that question too.  Slide and print film look the same physically, so the slide film should fit into the camera with no problems. Any photography pros out there care to illuminate the subject?

Just a guess.....  Maybe the camera exposure progamming will cause slide film to be exposed improperly?  If so, maybe you could use slide film and adjust for the improper exposure in the processing?  Again...That's all just conjecture....

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Slide Film:  More Guessing

Seems like the ASA on slide film was only 100 (or was it 60),  maybe the PF won't adjust for this slow a rating but I forget to change 400 back to 200 speed all the time on an old cam and the pix developing machines compensage for it and pix's are fine

Also wondering if slide film is "DX"  I think DX means the cam can automatically detect ASA rating.  There is no ASA select feature on the PF's

{=    "icon for a shoulder shrug"

Tinhorn

Top Bottom