Canon Digital Rebel

ranchwife

Reaction score
I have a Canon Rebel - the film type - that I purchased in 1997. I am looking at getting a Canon digital rebel this spring. Would the lenses for my old Rebel work on a new digital Rebel? Both of them are auto/manual focus. If I can use these lenses, it will cut down considerably on the cost of the new camera.

IK13

Reaction score
Yes. They'll work. In fact - take them to the shop and test it.

If the lenses you have are not of high quality though (and you don't plan or changing that), you might be better off with a good P&S camera instead of DSLR.

foulshot

Reaction score
RW, are they Canon lenses? Most if not all lenses should work. The only exception I can think of is the F mount.

Sometimes the 3rd party companies will "rechip" the lens to work with the new "digital" body.

You should be able to pick up the original rebel for $400 or less used.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Yes - they are Canon lenses. I have a Powershot, but am wanting something that takes a little nicer pictures. I went through my old camera equipment the other day and I have a great set up, but it is collecting dust in the case because it uses film.

IK13

Reaction score
Film doesn't necessarily mean inferior picture quality.
Under the right circumstances the results often can be better than digital IMO.

PS. I just posted a few shots I took last week with Olympus OM-1n film camera - check 'em out.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IK13 @ Mar 17 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Film doesn't necessarily mean inferior picture quality.
Under the right circumstances the results often can be better than digital IMO.

PS. I just posted a few shots I took last week with Olympus OM-1n film camera - check 'em out.[/b]
Ah, but the digital age is sooooo much easier!

I can store thousands of pictures on my hard drive, transport them on a small SD or CF card...I can take a picture, download it, enhance/edit and fine tune it then print it in the comfort of my home in literally minutes with no chemicals or mess to clean up and no darkroom required. Even if I don't want to print them at home I can upload them online and pick them up in an hour or have them shipped to me. I don't have to carry around a bunch of rolls of film, I can switch from color to B&W instantly without having to change film or waste a partial roll....even change ISO on the go for that matter. I just love digital!

RW, I'm in the same boat as you....but here are a few things to consider:

If you have a P&S that uses SD cards, the Digital Rebel XT or XTi uses CF cards so you'll need to invest in at least a new card and possibly a reader.

From what I've been told, using 35mm lenses you will lose some (not a lot) of the lower (wide angle) range......don't ask, I don't know how to explain it but that's what I was told.

The new Rebel XSi (due out next month) will use SD cards but at a higher price. You might also check the Nikons as they use SD cards...I've heard really good things about the D40x and they have the new D60 coming out at the end of this month.

I'm probably gonna hold out for the D60 which seems the best bang for the buck to me, even though I have some Rebel lenses for the old 35 mm....JMO.

Let us know what you decide...

ranchwife

Reaction score
I'm like you El V - I love the flexability of a digital. With a film camera, you simply don't know what the pic will turn out like - and the cost of buying and developing film for pictures that don't turn out is a waste of money.

I'm still deciding between Rebel XSi and the XTi - the only differences I can see is the XSi has 12.2 megapixels and the XTi has 10 - and of course the cost. Does anyone else know the differences? I think I'll stick with a Canon - I've never owned anything but a Canon and I love their features.

I've got two lenses - a 35-80mm and a 75-300mm - I'll be mostly taking wildlife, landscape, and close up pictures. Is there any other lense that I may want?

Thanks again!

el_vaquero

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ranchwife @ Mar 18 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm like you El V - I love the flexability of a digital. With a film camera, you simply don't know what the pic will turn out like - and the cost of buying and developing film for pictures that don't turn out is a waste of money.

I'm still deciding between Rebel XSi and the XTi - the only differences I can see is the XSi has 12.2 megapixels and the XTi has 10 - and of course the cost. Does anyone else know the differences? I think I'll stick with a Canon - I've never owned anything but a Canon and I love their features.

I've got two lenses - a 35-80mm and a 75-300mm - I'll be mostly taking wildlife, landscape, and close up pictures. Is there any other lense that I may want?

Thanks again![/b]
The XSi will use SD cards and the XTi uses Compact Flash cards.....not sure on other specifics, but check out www.dpreview.com and do a side by side comparison....

betelgeuse

Reaction score
One more thing to consider: Someone chime in if I am wrong, but I believe the effective magnification of you lenses when used on the digital is 1.6X what it is rated.

Ex 35mm-80mm becomes, 56mm-128mm and 75mm-300 becomes 120mm-480 when used on the digital

I am 90% sure on this.

I have used the digital Rebels they are a lot of fun and take great pictures.

Good luck !

el_vaquero

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (betelgeuse @ Mar 18 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One more thing to consider: Someone chime in if I am wrong, but I believe the effective magnification of you lenses when used on the digital is 1.6X what it is rated.

Ex 35mm-80mm becomes, 56mm-128mm and 75mm-300 becomes 120mm-480 when used on the digital

I am 90% sure on this.

I have used the digital Rebels they are a lot of fun and take great pictures.

Good luck ![/b]
Yes...that's what I was trying to say above...just didn't know exactly what I was trying to say I guess.

foulshot

Reaction score
RW, when you say close up do you mean portrait? Kids and what not?
If so, I'd look at something in the wide range, it can also double as a landscape lens. The 17-40 range is nice to have for both portrait and landscape. Sigma makes a good lens in that range. You can always go canon too.

If you think you might want the kit lens that comes with the Rebel(18-55) and you don't get one with your new camera, I've got an extra I'd be willing to sell cheap. I'd average the cost on Ebay/CL and go lower. It's not the greatest lens(quality wise), but it works.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Foulshot - Close up meaning anything from portraits to macros. Would my two lenses work for that?

I've done some research, but still don't understand what the numbers on a lense mean. Can anyone explain what the 35-80mm means? What does the 35mm mean? What does the 80mm mean? Maybe if I understood that I would know what lenses would work for what I need.

Thanks!

foulshot

Reaction score
Here is an explanation from DPReview that I think is pretty good.

As far as the lenses you have they will work for the portraits just fine. Macro just depends on the minimum focal length. What is the closest you can get to your subject and still focus. Personally I have a dedicated macro lens. Much like you see in Wapiti's work, although he is going even more extreme by reversing a second lens for further magnification.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom