Canon Owl AF No Sleeping Beauty

Welby

Reaction score
According to wfontjr on the TN Deer Trail Camera forum, the older Canon Sure Shot Owl AF Date camera did NOT go to sleep after leaving the shutter closed OVERNIGHT when he tested it.  My own testing has confirmed that the camera would not go to sleep even after I had the shutter electronically closed for more than thirty minutes.  

This is significant, folks.  This could be a very good thing.  This means that we do not have to build a timer to keep this camera from shutting itself off.  No animal should keep the PIR tripped that long, I would think.

It should be noted, however, that there MAY be something that we DON'T know about that is of detriment to the camera with the shutter being closed for that long.  This may be the reason they built a newer AF.  And also, another poster, Achilochus, has stated on the "New Trick For Old Dog" thread that his older AF in fact DID go to sleep after five minutes.  If you do have one of these cameras and intend to use it for this purpose, try it out for yourself and see what happens.

I still as of yet have not field tested one of these cameras, BTW.  If anyone beats me to the punch, please post your experience with this camera please.

(Edited by Welby at 9:37 am on April 2, 2001)

wfontjr

Reaction score
welby
sorry i guess i did not understand the question, i thought the sleep question was with just the camera on, a power save feature, not with the shutter closed, i checked it overnite for a battery save feature

Welby

Reaction score
wfontjr, no problem.  No worries, mate.

However, I did try it again today with the shutter closed for more than THREE HOURS and the camera did NOT have to be reset.

I am wondering now, though, is it just THIS camera only?  Is it magic, perhaps?

wfontjr

Reaction score
i wired it for a friend, i will get him to check it

Top Bottom