Canon Owl AF Question

H

hookingbull

I have an older Canon Owl AF!  This is all it says!  It works well and has a electronic film advance.  The only thing im not sure about is the shutter has to be opened by the use of your finger.  I tried leaving it open all night thinking it may go to sleep and save the battery but it didn't in fact the batterys were almost dead.  Can i use this older camera by wiring it the same way as the newer AF?  Also when i wire the camera and set it up if i leave the shutter closed will the voltage some how are another open the shutter, maybe it does, im confuse, just wanted to know before i torn into a perfectly good camera.  
Even as i look at this new Canon PF Date, it has an on and off switch in the front of it, when you switch it on the shutter opens, it seems manual maybe its not, if it isn't once i have it wired and ready to test do i have the switch on camera in the on or off position?  Help Help Help    Thanks guys almost there!     Hookingbull

H

hookingbull

elby, thank you so much for the reply, this is the same version canon i have.  The only thing that im still unclear about is the fact of the manual open close switch on the front.  When setting this in the field, do you leave this button open or closed, it seems you would leave it open but when i left it open at home on the counter it ran the batterys down.  Does the hotwiring we do, fix that?  MArk

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi hookingbul,
I have this same camera (as well as some of the Infinity Jrs, the newer Owls and two Owl PFs).  Mine enters into a "sleep mode" after about 5 minutes or so, and the ONLY way to wake it up is to flick the power off and then back on using the slide switch on front of the cam.  Nobody else seems to have the same problem with this cam.  I've never heard anyone mention that it uses lots of power either (mine still has its original batts).   I believe that several different models of this cam were produced, each looking the same externally, but having different electronics inside.  I've never gotten confirmation or denial of this theory fron Canons' Tech Support (damn - those boys know NOTHING about their cams!!!).  Maybe you have an early model with bad power saving features.
I'd stay with the Olympus infinity Jr, the newer Owl (the one with the big dial on the front), or even better - the Owl PF.

With any of these cams, you have to leave the power switch "on" ( with the lens cover open).

Good Luck,
Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom