Canon Owl - AF

trjones

Reaction score
I recently built my first game cam.  The camera keeps locking up on me.  If I turn the cam off then back on it will flash (no film advance) then lock up.  If I turn off & on again - same thing.  I replaced the batteries & this seemed to fix the problem.  I put the cam in the woods.  3 days and 4 pic's later - the cam is locked up again.  Is it batteries?  If so, any idea why it is using the batteries so fast?  How can I fix it?

davered1

Reaction score
what are you using for your setup? sensor,camera? If you short the 2 camera wires together out side of unit can you do it more than once or does it lock up?

trjones

Reaction score
I'm using the Radio Shack 49-425 sensor.  I get the same results when shorting the wires together.  The sensor seems to be working fine.  I'm stumped.  I'm just using the plain energizer battery.  I'm going to try the "e2 alkaline" and see if that makes a difference, but I would thank even the cheapest battery would last more that just a few days?????

davered1

Reaction score
If the camera locks up just shorting the wires across unhooked from sensor then your problem is in camera.check your soler points and look for bits of solder touching anything else

(Edited by davered1 at 11:26 am on July 20, 2002)

trjones

Reaction score
Solder points look fine?????

Any other suggestions are welcome.  Otherwise, thanks for your help.

I'm stumped!!!!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi TR,
Do you have any connector on your cam??  Sometimes they don't make proper contact.
Also... check more than the solder points.  I've found all sorts of stray junk floating around inside the cams.  You really have to look close - even a small bit of solder in the wrong spot can mess things up.

Archilochus

trjones

Reaction score
I tried new batteries - no luck.  I took the cam apart again.  I did notice 2 very very small wires just under the auto-focus sensors.  The wires are bare (no insallation) and were laid across the circuit board.  I moved the wires, put the cam back together - and seems to work fine now.  I'm not sure if this is the problem or not.  I'm going to try to secure the wires somehow????  and give it another shoot.

bat

Reaction score
hey trjones,
 Try taking a picture using just the camera button that works the camera like you would do to take a normal picture to see if it locks up.  If it works ok this way you might want to check and recheck to make sure you are soldered to the correct points to make the camera work in the cam.  This statement in your problem statement sounds like you have a shortage between the "flash wire and the ground":  If I turn the cam off then back on it will flash (no film advance) then lock up.  If I turn off & on again - same thing.  bat

Latest Posts

Top Bottom