canon owl pf date

J

Joe Gallagher

I  went to Walmart and picked up a Canon SureShot Owl PF date for my first trail cam.  It was on the clearance shelf and the last one in the store.  I asked why it was being discontinued and was told that there was a problem with the auto rewind with too many of the units sold.  I went ahead and purchased the camera.  The rewind problem is evident within the first few roles of film.  Has anyone had any trouble with there Canon Owl?   I also bought a Regent security light MS20WC.  The circuit board looks like the right one.  I'm just wondering what the "W" in MS20WC means.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Hello Joe,
  I made a similar purchase at my local store here in Ga. The PF was marked down to $44.00 and I haven't been able to find another around here anywhere. I ordered one from Amazon.com and it should be here in a few days. I have built one cam and have not expierienced any problems with the PF so far. Thanks for sharing the info because I was wondering why they were discontiued at Wal-Mart.
 Do you think some "cammies" were returning them if they destroyed the curcuit board while trying to modify/solder?  Makes me wonder. I sure burnt one up good fashion but it was my own fault and when I went inside the camera I voided the warranty.
 The "W" stands for the color white. The also came in the color black.

I

ilbowhunter

I have had problems with the rewind as well.  The #4 terminal inside the camera had a little solder running to the #3 terminal (which is the manual rewind).  I heated and scraped the bridge from 3 to 4 away and have had no problems since.  I was getting premature rewinds before.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Boy, if Ibowhunter is right and the problem was a poor solder job, too bad we couldn't get hold of those returned cameras...      

Out of the 8 or 9 I've built, NONE had any problems and I never noticed any bad solder on them either....

(Mite want to move this to the "Game Trail Cameras and Camcorders" part of this site)

Tinhorn  

(Edited by Tinhorn at 10:13 pm on May 15, 2001)

I

ilbowhunter

A little further information:
The bridge that was between 3 and 4 was very small,
only viewable with a magnifier.  Look closely! (if you are having rewind problems)

http://www.fgi.net/~snider

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Joe Gallagher - I just purchased a Regent MS20 at Wal*Mart , and it's a Bronze Color that looks good on my OD Color 7.62 ammo can. (Almost a perfect match) I removed the light bulb sockets, and kept the whole assembly together with the swivel mount.  It kind of looks like a gas mask.  If you want to mount the MS20 inside a 7.62 ammo can all you have to do is file off the front of the rain hood, and the whole assembly slips down neatly inside supporting its self.  Myself, I plan to mount the whole assembly on the outside of the can somewhere, so that I have full use of the swivel mount during trail use.  The deer in this area come running down a trail for water, so sometimes it would be desirable to point the PIR up the trail a ways. This is the Wal*Mart Number: 004442700740

Here is the Pleasanton, CA Store Manager's Phone:

George Rodriquez
(925) 734-8744

jayber

Reaction score
A couple weeks after I spent $65 for an Owl PF date at Circuit City, I started seeing the same camera go for first, $49, then $44 at Wal-Mart.  This has been about 3 months now and they're still around here, but fading slowly.  I'm gonna have to get some more soon before they disappear completely!

MBullism

Reaction score
(the sound of chairs turning over, glass breaking and doors slamming as I head for the car)

Thanks!  May look after work, soon as I figure out how mad my wife will be....

M

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I hope that's not a bad omen and they're about to discontinue them

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
Can't find them in Targets down here in the southern part of the state!

MBullism

Reaction score
stopped on the way home tonight.  They had two, I left them with one.  They weren't on sale though, I paid full price (49.99).  That seems to be the "right" price around here when you can find one so I sprung for one.  I know I can get them at sears and others for 59.00, but I haven't felt so trapped as to pay it.

Desperate yes, but trapped...no

Thanks again for another source

M

hamiltoe

Reaction score
I've heard that Sears will match competitors prices.  Even website prices.  All you have to do is print out a copy of the web page and bring it in.  They will verify first, but will match it.  A friend of mine does it all the time and says he has saved a lot of money that way by avoiding shipping costs.

MBullism

Reaction score
Ohhhh... I don't want my brother in law to see that hamiltoe, he just last week did the 59 dollar trick.  Thanks for the info though.  How would they verify an unadvertised, everyday price?

Not complaining, I'm soldering , baby...!

Curtiss

Reaction score
If you are looking for the Cannon Pf with date,time, you can check out Sears store. Get a print out from a site with a price, and they will match it. I think that they retail at sears for 59.00. I asked them to check how many were in there system, and she looked it up and said there were over 7000 of them.

Jim K

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea where you can get a print out on the web you can take to Sears cheaper than $59.00?
Jim

MBullism

Reaction score
With a little photoshop edititng, we may have just found someplace we can buy 7000 of them for $15.00 apiece!  :muha:

(just kidding boys and girls...  Don't try this at home! :no no: &nbsp

M

upnorthunter

Inactive
Reaction score
I just bought two owl pf dates at target last night.  They weren't on sale anymore, but they were 49.00 a piece.  Even got a 10 percent discount for getting a target charge, so that was another 5.00 off.

Top Bottom