Canon OWL PF

Rob

Reaction score
I thought that the min focus distance for this camera was2.7 feet,  am i wrong?  I set my bait in close last time and got a fox into the 3-4 feet range but the pictures were all out of focus until about 5-6feet. I was annoyed, abuot 8 out of focus close shots and about 10 shots in focus of his butt.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Rob, The PF will focus down to 2.6 feet in Flash mode, and 3.3 feet in the Flash Off mode. However, it would take a more complex trail cam that would use the Green Light with the PF Sensors exposed. Arch has a special timer posted on his WebPage that will fire the half shutter first, but you must have your PF wired with 3 wires. The other alternative is to go into the PF, and wire the Green Light so that it will fire the Shutter when it comes on. That way all you have to do is fire the Half Shutter from the outside of the PF to get all the automated functions. Some testing should be done first on a tripod to see if it's worth it.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Besides what RW just said,  

another problem is the AutoFocus sensors may be blocked by your enclosure.  Take a look at the Cams Manual at the Function Pictorial to see where the Xmit/Rec sensors are on the cam

I don't know for sure if shorting Half Press button to Full Press button (pins 5 & 6) will defeat the Autofocus or not but if one or both sensors are blocked, it def won't focus (but is probably set on "Infinity" and most of the time, the pix focus will be fine)

Tinhorn

Rob

Reaction score
FYI, I have been setting my camera in the auto mode, not forced flash or no flash.  I did cut all the sensor holes in the housing just to be safe.  And no way, now how, am I opening that camera back up!
She works just fine other than won't focus less than 5 feet.  I not going to risk messing up those little traces.  Thanks for the info!!!

coyotehunters

Reaction score
I TRYING TO HOOK UP A CANON OWL TO AA RS PIR. MY QUESTION IS DOES IT MATTER WHICH WAY THE WIRES FROM THE CAMERA ARE HOOKED UP THROUGH THE STEREO PLUG. I DONT SEE A DIAGRAM OF WHAT IS GOING ON INSIDE THE PLUG. I AM ASSUMING IT DOESNT MATTER BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FOR SURE BEFORE I ROAST MY CAMERA.

South

Reaction score
Doesn't matter.

If using the 3-wire setup, just make sure the wires from pins 5 and 6 are together on the plug.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Does not matter,if you touch the 2 wires together coming from the camera it should take a pic,the wires coming from your sensor should do this same thing(just grounds the 2 together)but the wires coming from the sensor to the camera should have no voltage at any time,just acts as a ground.(completes the curcuit)

coyotehunters

Reaction score
DOES ANYONE HAVE THE DIMENSIONS ON THE FLASH AND SHUTTER LOCATION ON THIS CAMERA.THE CAMERA IS BEING SHIPPED TO ME NOW BUT I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE HOLES AND GLASS MOUNTED IN MY CAMERA HOUSING SO I CAN PUT IT OUT AS SOON AS I GET THE CAMERA.

quackmaster

Reaction score
If you are asking what I think you are asking, then it does matter. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
if you have the sheath off your stereo plugs you will see three different holes  or soldering points. For example if you have a wire coming off of pt. #4 on the camera and you could solder it to the "left" tab on the plug, then you would solder it to the same tab on the mate plug.
Thats how I did it and it works.
If your wanting the autofocusm keep #5 and #6 separate until after the plugs.

coyotehunters

Reaction score
I WAS JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF IT MATTERS WHICH CONTACT INSIDE THE CAMERA THE WIRE THAT COMES FROM THE RELAY AND THE WIRE COMING FROM THE DPDT SWITCH ARE CONNECTED TO. THEY ARE NOT LABELED ON THE DIAGRAM AS TO WHICH WIRE GOES TO WHICH CAMERA CONTACT.I ALSO DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE 2 AND 3 WIRE HOOK UP. DO I NEED 2 OR 3 WIRES.WHICH WAY IS THE BEST WAY TO GO.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The <EASIEST> way to go is to short Camera Pins 5 & 6 with a solder blob, attach a stranded wire here,  attach a 2nd stranded wire to pin 4.

Drill a 1/8" hole just above the "AN" in Canon on the front of the Camera Case and run these 2 wires out.  Reassemble the camera, short the wires together for a test, the camera should flash every time.   Then run these 2 wires thru where the carry string was and solder on a 1/8" earphone Jack to them.  The other half of the 1/8" Jack (the Plug) goes to the Relay Contacts

I don't think that anyone will dispute that this is the easiest and quickest way to do it,  takes only about 20 mins, start to finish......

After you've done one, you can get fancy and use the 3 wire method or whatever you want to do

Tinhorn

coyotehunters

Reaction score
THANKS GUYS FOR THE HELP. I AM STILL A LITTLE CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT I HAVE LEARNED HERE AND THE DIAGRAMS FROM JESSES HUNTING PAGE.TINHORNS PLAN SOUNDS SIMPLE BUT WHAT ABOUT THE "WIRE TO SHUTTER CONTACT" SHOWN IN THE DIAGRAM FOR THE CAMERA FOR USE IN THE GAME CAMERA ONLY.SORRY FOR ALL THE TROUBLE BUT I AM NEW TO THIS ELECTRONIC STUFF. I AM AMAZED THAT THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE WILLING TO HELP OUT. THANKS

Tinhorn

Reaction score
CH

The "WIRE TO SHUTTER CONTACT"  you mention is the same 2 wires coming from the Owl PF (as described above).....

Shutter Contact means the set of contacts inside the relay that the PIR triggers, when these contacts close, it triggers the Camera Shutter.

Tinhorn

coyotehunters

Reaction score
THANKS    HOW FAR UP IS THE CENTER OF THE SHUTTER FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE CAMERA AND IS IT CENTERED FROM LET TO RIGHT ON THE CAMERA

StringShooter

Reaction score
I would wait. The biggest mistake people make while building their cams is being in too much of a hurry.

Take your time and you won't regret it.

gizz

Reaction score
I've done all mine EXACTLY as tinhorn stated (well, i drill my hole above the "no" :smile-blue )
Rather than muddy the water with the different connectors to use the cam independently, i just bought another Owl PF for personal, independant use. :wink-yellow:
Nothing wrong with making the deluxe model but I'd stick to the basics on the first one - And YES, your gonna build more than one!

coyotehunters

Reaction score
IS THE ONLY REASON FOR USING THE THREE WIRE SYSTEM IS SO THE CAMERA CAN BE USED INDEPENDANTLY FROM THE GAME CAMERA. ARE THERE ANY OTHER BENIFITS FROM USING THE THREE WIRE SYSTEM

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The 2 wire system defeats the 'Half Press' feature of the camera, that's all it does, the cam can still be used just fine (as a camera).  Take a look at the Owner's Manual to see what the Half Press Feature does, you really won't miss it.

I wire with 3 wires now-a-days for a different reason:

I went to 3 wires because I am adding a Refresh Pulse Circuit.  This circuit is not all that difficult to build but is for the more Advanced Electronics people.  It keeps the Cam Flash Circuit charged so the cam takes a pix faster when it sets idle for several days.  Without the Refresh Circuit, the cam may take several seconds before it can take a pix, because the flash circuit has to recharge.  Some cams are worse than others in the amount of time it takes to charge this circuit but most take less than 4 seconds to get the job done. (with a refersh circuit, it ony takes about a second for the camera to fire)

Don't worry about 3 wires on your 1st Cam project (unless you are already into electronics and got some experience)

Tinhorn

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Fresh off the .net:  www.ritzcamera.com

**This is NOT the DATE/TIME camera!

Brand new Canon Owl PF for $39.99 (plus S&H)

Also available:  Olympus Infinity Jr. (refurb) for $39.99 *Not DATE/TIME either.

My PF is to arrive tomorrow for the completion of my first cam.

(Edited by Constitutionalist at 2:00 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)

Top Bottom