Canon Snappy LX

sherman

Reaction score
Has anybody tried an old Snappy LX?  

I have an old Canon Snappy LX that I think does not go to "sleep" but is fixed focus and  does not have date stamp or very powerfull flash.  I thought it might be a good camera to learn on(cheap).  Assuming this camera can be modified similarly to instructions shown on this board I cannot get the camera to fire.  The layout of the sensor board looks similar to that shown on the "modifying the Canon Sure Shot Owl Date Camera(Slide "On" Switch Model)  The best I can tell the layout of the main front contacts (looking at the lens) is 12345, 1=Early Rewind, 2=shutter,3=shutter/flash,4=common,5=timer.

I have tried soldering a jumper between 2 and 3 and then soldering the triggering wire to the gold contacts on 2 and 3(did not make much sense but I thought I was following instructions). No luck.  Camera will load film but does not fire.

Then tried removing jumper between 2 and 3.  Still no luck. shutter wire not changed as above.

Then soldered jumper back between 2 and 3 and soldered wires to contacts on 2 and 4(shutter and common).no luck.

Magnifying glass inspection of jumper soldering and shutter wire solder appears to be ok.  No unintentional connections.

It is possible that I tore something up during all the experiments(assemble/disassemble,back and forth) but can not see any visible damage.  I think I trashed the camera but would rather trash a nearly 10 year old camera than a brand new one.  

If anybody has managed to make one of these antiques work I sure would like to know how you managed it.  Thanks

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Sherman,

If my feeble memory is right, the Snappy LX is the same as the Canon Owl that I have the mod for.

There should be two wires soldered to the camera, you only mention one.

<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>I have tried soldering a jumper between 2 and 3 and then soldering the triggering wire to the gold contacts on 2 and 3(did not make much sense but I thought I was following instructions). No luck.  Camera will load film but does not fire.<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Double check all your wiring, if it's hooked up like I show it in the pic it should fire. After you get it all soldered again, try to touch the two wires together and take a pic.

I changed the text about the gold dots to make it clearer, maybe that will help too.

sherman

Reaction score
Yes, I had two wires to complete the firing circuit soldered,or at least I thought I did.  During re-assembly of the camera with the soldered wires on the board added just enough thickness to the top of the board to make a tight fit with the camera enclosure.  Maybe I was knocking off one of the soldered joints because of the tight fit.  Got out my dremel and ground some of the plastic on the enclosure to make some more room.  Re-soldered the jumper and the two shutter wires and guess what the darn thing worked.  Am on my way now.  Thanks.  this is the greatest board.

chadwright

Reaction score
Will the regular canon snappy LX work?  I am using a snappy LXII and it works great, but I can get a regular LX with date for pretty cheap.  It has the two small buttons like the older owls.  I would think that it would be fine but wanted some other opinions.

Chad

Top Bottom