Canon XTi vs. Nikon D60

el_vaquero

Reaction score
Fellas, I'm in the market for a dSLR and have narrowed it down to these two. I plan on getting the body only and adding a Sigma 18-200mm image stabilized lens.

If I get the Canon, I can hold off on the lens a bit since I have a 35-80mm and 75-300 lens (neither are image stabilized).

As far as I know, they are both very comparable as far as specs and pic quality go (from what I see on dpreview.com). The Canon feels a little better to me as far as button configuration, and the Nikon feels better built. The Nikon is about $100 more since it's just released...and the XTi should be dropping once the XSi is released.

Any opinions (not just brand bashing)?

foulshot

Reaction score
Biggest thing that stands out to me is the AF points difference. Seems like the Canon has a better focusing system at that level.

Both offer battery grips, which I think are essential.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Mar 25 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Both offer battery grips, which I think are essential.[/b]
I agree....I was thinking about getting the XSi when it's released, but it's around $800 for the body....I can buy some extras with the money saved and the battery grip is one of them.

IK13

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Mar 25 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Biggest thing that stands out to me is the AF points difference. Seems like the Canon has a better focusing system at that level.

I'm a Canon shooter, but I'll have to disagree - my experience says that in the consumer-level DSLRs Canon has more focus reliability issues than Nikon. I'm talking about focus precision, not speed. Of course this is a general observation and the final result is not only a function of the camera body but also the lens used.

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IK13 @ Mar 26 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Mar 25 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a Canon shooter, but I'll have to disagree - my experience says that in the consumer-level DSLRs Canon has more focus reliability issues than Nikon. I'm talking about focus precision, not speed. Of course this is a general observation and the final result is not only a function of the camera body but also the lens used.

[/b][/quote]
I'm a Canon shooter also. Are you referring to the backfocus issue that the early Rebel models had? I've not noticed any focus issue with the 20D that I have.

IK13

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Mar 26 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm a Canon shooter also. Are you referring to the backfocus issue that the early Rebel models had? I've not noticed any focus issue with the 20D that I have.[/b]
I have 20D myself. I haven't heard of Canon admitting problems with the focus on any rebel models so I wasn't referring to that.

My 20D is OK, but far from perfect. 40D is much better in that regard.
The way Canon defines the focus for the consumer level DSLR is "if it's somewhere within the DOF - it's in focus". For the pro-bodies it is "anywhere within 1/3 DOF". Don't know how it is with Nikon.
I have installed a manual focus screen in my 20D (sometimes I like to play with old manual focus lenses) and it just confirmed (it makes it very obvious with) what I suspected - the AF is OK for the most part, but it also misses a lot. And my slowest lenses are f2.8 (which should be using the "high-precision" mode of the center AF point).

I've played with a few Canon & Nikon models in the consumer DSLR line and this is what I think. Often the Canons AF will lock on the target faster, but the Nikon AF will be statistically with better accuracy. The AF on the 1 series Canons is amazing - both fast and accurate, but that's a different story (and $).

Another area where I'd give the Nikon an advantage is the flash system. In my opinion it's superior to Canon's current E-TTL2 (though I haven't tested any of the newer bodies).

Again - these are just my personal observation and opinion and they might not necessarily be valid.

foulshot

Reaction score
Interesting IK13, hopefully this is more food for thought for EV.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
Yes, thanks....

Still haven't decided, but I have a few months. Either way, it looks to be bwtween the XTi and the D60....both a great camera for the price IMO.

Jeb911

Reaction score
I have the Xti and it SUCKS if you dont have an IS lens... If you dont want to spend the same amount for the lens as you did on the camera... buy something that has IS built-in...

-JEB

Top Bottom