Carbines in the high country

Quiet

Reaction score
I could have posted this on a different sub-forum but I'm asking here because a lot of you hunt the areas I hunt (D3-D5), hunt the species I hunt (blacktail/muley hybrids) and hunt the way I want to hunt (packing in). I presently have two guns I deer hunt with: a Rem. 788 .308 with an 18-1/2" barrel and a Rem. 760 .30-06 with a 22" barrel. Both are more than adequate, if not a little heavy, but I'm looking for a more "packable" gun, probably in .308 since I have lots of .308 bullets for reloading.

I need a shorter LOP, no more than 13-1/2" and a lightweight rifle, ideally 6.5 lbs. or less. Remington has a new Model 7 Threaded with a 16-1/2" barrel but I'm curious about your thoughts on such a short barrel in the kinds of terrain we often hunt. I've looked at the compact Ruger American and the lightweight Savages, as well as the Tikkas and Sakos (both tend to have long LOPs for me), but maybe I'm a Remington fan at heart and don't even know it. I also have an old Rem. 700 Varmint Synthetic .308 and a rimfire Rem. 582.

I've read where Remington is not the Remington of old and that it's quality control has slipped. I've also read where things are improving. I'm not a fan of stainless steel barrels despite the advantages. Here in California, deer season tends to end before the onslaught of bad weather.

I'm confident with the short barrels to 300 yds. but have read about hits on steel targets out to 800 and 900 yds. I'm not looking to shoot deer that far because in a perfect world I would successfully hunt deer with a Howard Hill longbow and be done with it. In this world, that's not happening with the way I shoot longbows. Anyhow, sorry for the long post but I'd just like to ask some of your thoughts on carbines in the high country. Many thanks.

ltdann

Reaction score
Tikka T3 Lite....absolutely the most accurate, and light weight rifle I've ever shot. I carry that thing all day, no sweat. The wood stock is heavier but the composite is in the ball park of your 6.5 LBS

Quiet

Reaction score
Itdann, no doubt Tikkas are nice. But a 13.5" LOP is already starting to hang up at times for me and Tikkas are at 13.75". Throw in some early morning cold weather jackets and things are really starting to bunch up. Many find a light rifle harder to shoot more accurately than a heavy firearm but, once gun and scope are dialed in, it seems to me a backcountry hunting arm winds up being carried more than shot. Thanks for the suggestion. Has anyone here hunted the highlands with a short-barrelled rifle; what were your thoughts?

slamdmini

Reaction score
i have the regular ruger american, and i love it. lightweight, accurate, and the compact american seems to fit your requirements well. the browning xbolt micro composite (13" lop), and micro midas (12.5" lop) seem good too, although i have no personal experience with them. im looking into getting an x bolt in 6.5 creedmore soon.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
My son purchased a youth model Tikka and it has an adjustable LOP. I can tell you that it is very accurate. Not sure on the barrel length.

I am not a fan of Tikka's website and I have a hard time finding the info I want. It looks like he purchased the adjustable stock one. I have no idea how much it weighs. Not sure it is advertised as a youth model but it is adjustable for LOP. His 10 year old can shoot it. He purchased it in 7mm-08.

I don't like the look and feel but it shoots and it isn't for me.

Last edited:

Quiet

Reaction score
I, too, had a difficult time with both the Tikka and Sako websites. Info was hard to decipher and stuff was in metrics, ugh! Both designs look somewhat bulky in the mid-sections, but that's just a personal observation on my part. Good to hear about the Ruger American and I have viewed the Browning micro offerings as well, thanks everyone. Savage has a good rep for out-of-the-box accuracy, but like someone said, "The problem with Savage is once you buy one you have to look at it." I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so not bashing, just having fun. I guess I'm leaning towards that Model 7 with a lightweight 2.5-8X Leupold VX-3i and seeing how it works out. Good hunting all.

dthome

Reaction score
That’s pretty funny about the Savage. The same thing could be said about the Ruger American. The fit and finish is embarrassing, IMHO. Make sure you pick one up before you buy.

DAQ80

Reaction score
My son shoots a Howa youth model, it’s been a good accurate gun for us. It’s light, has a 12.5” LOP, and is available in .308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T.R.

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of short and light carbines for hunting within the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness of Alpine County. I have an older Remington 660 in .308 that features a 20 inch barrel and a new Mossberg 464 in 30-30 that has an 16 inch barrel. Both are great for high country hunts.

TR

TheGDog

Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat the weight of the gun soo much.

As long as it's synthetic stock they are all nice and light these days.

And besides... carrying that rifle around is helping to prep you for the moment of truth when ya gotta pack it out!

Planetcat

Reaction score
I also like carbines for hunting deer, bear, and hogs in thick woods. I shoot a Benelli R1 .30-06 with a 20“ barrel and its powerful and accurate. Other notables are my Marlin guide gun in .45-70, browning bar 22” barrel .308, and Winchester xpr in .338 wm that i cut down to a 21” barrel. I would consider the compact model in .308 for packable. I have the full size in .308 and its very accurate.

For a packable carbine, i would also look at the Henry lever action in .308 too.

Quiet

Reaction score
Think I'll put a lightweight Leupold and rings on the Rem. 788 for now and see how things work out. Thanks for the comments everyone.

ltdann

Reaction score
My Tikka stock is synthetic, the barrel is floated and it's ugly. I painted mine gray. But it's comfortable to shoot, is extremely light and has the smoothest action I've ever used and is a stone cold killer. I've used it in the heat of the Arizona desert and in the snow and it's never changed it's zero. Good looks don't kill game, accurate rifles do.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom