Carbon arrows on hogs

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I've been granted an invitation to kill some hogs on a client's ranch in the Santa Ynez valley. It's a working horse ranch and they are VERY reluctant to have rifle shots so I'm going to take my bow (Hoyt Magnatec). I've been shooting carbon arrows for the last year and I'd like to stay with carbons rather than re-tune with the aluminum shafts I have but I've been told by more than one person that carbon shafts could potentially "blow up" on hogs, effectively rendering much of the meat unusable. I've been asked to whack at least a half dozen if possible so I wouldn't lose my marbles if this were to happen in a single instance but if it's more likely than not, I'd change to the aluminum shafts. Does anybody have any experience with carbon shafts on hogs? Any insight you have is appreciated.

Norcalihunter

Reaction score
Dont know much about your question. Just thought I'd say good luck to you!

Walker

Reaction score
Carbon arrows don't blow up any more. That was the first carbons that came out. They were "extruded carbon" and they could and would shatter. The carbons on the market now are layer wrapped and they may break but they won't shatter. We shoot hogs with carbons all the time down here. Go for it.

LeeChul

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Walker, and besides, I've shot my carbons totally missing targets and straight into the rocks and none of them ever even cracked. If you have one "Blow up" I'd send it back to the manufacturer for new ones. Good luck. Wack 'em good. Remember to give some of your meat back to the land owners.!!

brut

Banned
Reaction score
i've never had a problem with my carbons. I ve taken three pigs and six deer since switching over. Good luck

easymoney

Reaction score
hogskin,
Haven't had any problems with carbon arrows (I shoot Gold tip), they take some considerable abuse. They either fragment or they don't. Aluminum bends if struck...
Placement is more important than arrow type.
JMHO

shadow

Reaction score
I have not had any explode. I have had them break though. Most of the time your shotin low just about even with the bakcside of the front elbow and when you stick em' they have a tendency to jump. When they jump they will do one of two things, bend the shaft or break the shaft if you don't get a pass thru. If the brush is thick hope for the pass thru if not your shaft will break going thru the brush.

Good luck and have fun!

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Hogskin,

I shot carbon sidewinders. I have never had a problem with them. I have missed many times and hit rocks, trees and so forth. Never had one "crack". I think you'll be all right. Keep us posted on the details of your hunt.

Reaction score
I missed my box on the first arrow low when going to sight in the first pin at 20 yards on a new sight in the back yard.

I put a GT hunter about 1" THOUGH a pressure treated 2x12. I had the hardest time getting it out because the field points flare over. I expected it to have stress fractures galore but could not see anything and it shot as true as my others.

I have blown one while shooting a range with Mel Carter. It hit a fat metal spike in the target and preaty much evaporated.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom