Caribou hunt

nvlonghunter

Reaction score
Now that I have found out that I did not draw any hunting tags this year including my home state,
I am going to have to hunt somewere for big game. I am considering a Caribou hunt in Quebec or NWT.

There is some very good information on this site so I have been checking out some outfitters. Safari Nordik
has some openings. They said they could fit me in for $6300.00.
This price included the round trip air fair from my local airport. They said all I need to pay for was food in Montreal and tips.

Tuttulik outfitters seems very good also. They had very few openings due to some clients having health
problems. This hunt is semi-guided. I talked to the manager and this hunt is $4395.00 all paid from Montreal.

I have hunted in Alaska two times for caribou on DIY hunts. But I really want to try something different.

Any input would be very appreciated

antlrcolectr

Reaction score
We WERE going to Sask to caribou hunt this fall until my two buddies knocked up their wives about 7 months ago...so now it's off.
I'll see if I can put up some info on costs for you.
AC

bou-hunter

Reaction score
We hunted with Safari Nordik in 94' and 96'. First year bou were SCARCE, 4-5 bulls all week with 12 hunters. In 96' everyone tagged out with good bulls. They run a good operation. One reason to consider NWT with someone like Arctic Safaris (Barry Taylor) is it's a smaller operation, the owner is there with you.

For something different you might want to consider Joan Scottie in Baker Lake, Nunavut. She's a local Inuit and runs a good camp. I think the area she hunts is less reliant on the big migrations, more like you're hunting a resident bou population. The racks there weren't as big as some, but we had a great hunt and tagged out two each in 2003. A nice "add-on" was spending the nights before and after the hunt in Baker Lake to get a flavor for life in one of the arctic Inuit communities.

nvlonghunter

Reaction score
Bou-Hunter

I noticed on some other posts you hunted with Tuttulik outfitters did you have a good experience?

QuackWhacker

Reaction score
Best of luck to you. My brother and I went with Safari Nordik in mid Sept. '05 and had a ball!

Second day of the hunt and the whole migration came through camp. We were in Ptarmigan camp and if you happen to be in that one say hi to Meva (the cook) for me. They jokingly called us "the brudders" in their french-canadian accent.

Take along a shotgun and some fishing tackle as the area holds a lot of ptarmigan and the lakes are full of lake trout and grayling.

Good luck!

nvlonghunter

Reaction score
I had it narrowed down between Safari Nordik and Tuttulik and I decided on tuttulik. I will be leaving on Sept. 13. I don't think you can go wrong with any one of these they both seem like very good outfitters.

bou-hunter

Reaction score
I didn't hunt with Tuttilik, but might have mentioned I've heard good things about them. Our two hunts in Quebec were with Safari Nordik.

Good luck on your hunt, and enjoy the arctic!!!

Widux

Reaction score
Boo came through camp-- did you have to drop yuor cards and beer to shoot them?? sounds more like a Texas ranch hunt.

QuackWhacker

Reaction score
Nope...didn't drop any cards, but did have to cut breakfast short.

The day before we had seen a total of 7 caribou. Everyone in camp was in the cook hut having breakfast when one of the guides came in and said "everyone out...come look at this." I walked out and there were caribou everywhere! The main migration had arrived!

It can be feast or famine, as the animals are constantly on the move. By the end of the week when we flew out, we may have seen a dozen. But for 3-4 days it was the most awesome spectacle...you just have to have seen it to appreciate what I'm saying.

Go up there and experience it for yourself.

Good luck!

Widux

Reaction score
Yes right--You ever ridden on horse back with ther boo- maybe 5,000?? Quite an expereince--and we did it ourselves-on other occasions we've had a large portion of Arctic herd come by as we gutted days kill. Guess I can pass on Quebec.

Skylinehnc

Reaction score
Where were you riding horses with that many caribou Widux? Or am I missing something here?

Widux

Reaction score
North of Arctic circle--about 6 miles off the Alaska Pipeline Haul road. When i lived in Fai it was an annual trip.Best one was when we had coeboy from AZ-My wife & I --a guide i worked for on occasion- our gunsmith-and a friend of his-unfortunately the mosquitis out numbered even the boo.

Skylinehnc

Reaction score
Ah,......that explains it. Not too many places where you can ride horses and see that kind of caribou activity.

K

Widux

Reaction score
No and i miss it-- around here all you see in those numbers are yahoos at Water Parks or jerks from city in line of traffic to go screw up some other nice lake.

primotime

Reaction score
looking for outfitters

I am trying to put together a hunt for 2010 in Quebec. I have narrrowed it down to Jack Hume, Safari Nordic, and Club Chambeauex. Anyone have a preference or other reccomendation?

baco

Reaction score
I am trying to put together a hunt for 2010 in Quebec. I have narrrowed it down to Jack Hume, Safari Nordic, and Club Chambeauex. Anyone have a preference or other reccomendation?

I'm going with safari nordic this september for my first shot ab boue. I'll be archery hunting so i ll give you a report on them when I get back if ya want

primotime

Reaction score
Bou hunt in Sept

Baco, That would be great if you could give me a heads up. I am pulling the trigger on Nordic because of their discount. Hope I have made the correct choice. Primotime

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Cool. I'm interested in hearing how your hunts go. I'm starting to put together a Quebec/Labrador hunt. I'm doing a DIY Barren Ground hunt in Ak in September. Good luck and keep us posted. Ed F

Top Bottom