Carizo Plain

Val

Reaction score
Hopefully a couple of friends and I will be heading to the Carrizo Plain in the next few weeks. Can anyone share some specifics on how to get to and where some of the good hunting areas are located? We are interested in rabbits, coyotes and whatever else is around and in season.
Thanks for any information.
Val

PS: I have trouble getting my fishing buddies motivated to go shooting or hunting. They're mostly into fishing and trap& skeet shooting. If anyone needs a retired come along for some hunting trips such as Carizo please let me know. I am in very good health and would be more than willing to share expenses. I'm very limited in camping equipment but am willing to procure what I need.

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
Val,

Have you seen the Link to Carrizo yet? Familiarize yourself with the rules before you go.

This link will take you to a good map of the area and if you go to the bottom left of the page you can open the map as a PDF that you can print and take with you.

There are several other discussions about Carrizo and the rules for the place here in the forum... just scroll down or do a search for Carrizo Plains.

The following is info I got by contact the BLM Office that is in charge of Carrizo ....

For six months of the year, we have open a wonderful Visitor/Education Center on the Monument. I am afraid it just closed for the season on May 31st. It is open from the first weekend of December until the last weekend of May every year. It is open Thursday through Sunday from 9am - 5pm.

We do have a wonderful Recreation/Road Map that is for sale in our Bakersfield Field Office for $2.00. It not only shows points of interest and access, it shows land ownership. This is always helpful to our hunters so that they do not wander where they shouldn't. You could order that map over the phone by telephoning 661-391-6000. Simply ask for the Carrizo Plain Recreation and Road map. They will charge it to your credit card and mail it in the next mail.

The following is an answer to a prior inquiry similar to yours that was prepared by our Monument Wildlife Biologist. I think you will find it very informative. The Biologist's name is Kathy Sharum and she can be contacted, directly, at ksharum@ca.blm.gov if you have any more specific questions.

Her reply:

California ground squirrels are most commonly found in open fields and other areas such as eroded hillsides where the soil is soft, and are generally more prevalent when a source of water is present such as a trough. Fluctuations in populations for rodents is normal and their numbers and locations vary from year to year based on a variety of factors. As a general rule we do not give out "specific" locations of animals for hunting. Due to the size of the Monument and the number of acres available for hunting, I can only provide the general information I've stated above but I will add that they are quite common and would probably not be difficult to find. There are however some important factors to keep in mind.
Not all areas within the Monument are open to the discharge of
firearms including a "no shooting zone" around the Visitor Center and
Painted Rock (see the map:
http://www.ca.blm.gov/bakersfield/carrizomap.html or call
805-475-2131 for clarification), and other areas (see link to our
special rules below).
There is no off-road vehicle use allowed within the Monument. You
cannot drive your vehicle off-road and use it to steady your firearm.
The Carrizo Plain is an area that is home to numerous protected
species, many of which are burrow dwellers. Some of the species use
abandoned California ground squirrel burrows and can therefore be
found in the same areas. The most common animals to encounter while
looking for squirrels are burrowing owls and antelope ground
squirrels. Close to the same size in appearance as a ground squirrel,
burrowing owls can closely resemble a ground squirrel standing on its
hind legs. Male owls stand guard outside the burrow and later in the
year, juveniles and single adults will do the same. Please use
extreme caution when shooting squirrels. Antelope ground squirrels
are smaller and would probably not be mistaken for California ground
squirrels but it's good to keep in mind that they are there.
There is private property within the Monument. Maps are available at
our Visitor Center and the Bakersfield BLM field office.
All state hunting and licensing laws apply within the Monument.

We ask that all visitors follow our Carrizo Plain leave-no-trace guidelines which can be found on the following web page:
http://www.ca.blm.gov/bakersfield/ethicscpna.html

as well as our regulations (which also identify areas where the discharge of firearms is not allowed):
http://www.ca.blm.gov/bakersfield/specialrules.html

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
Val,

I forgot to ask if you'd like to make a trip up for a morning hunt during the week? No plans as of yet, but I've got a new gun I'd like to take out after ground squirrels and do a little coyote calling before the heat of the day sets in.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Awesome info Heath! Thanks for the links.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Rabbits are pretty plentiful. You can walk right out of the camp and hunt them. There's a pedestrian/horse gate by the outhouses. Walk straight out from there. I think you have to walk about a quarter mile from the camp before you can shoot. There's a sign in the campground with the rules. Just don't walk the hills directly behind the campground. The property owner there is a pr--ck, and his land is not posted very well.
Most of the rolling sage covered hills are full of rabbits. Coyotes and ground squirrels are hit and miss. Your just going to have to drive around trying differant spots for them. During season quail and dove can be excellent. And in wet years there's even a few pigs and deer taken there.

Val

Reaction score
Smallblockfuelie,
I have read the Carizo plain website. Good info but not very specific. I would definitely like to make a week day trip up there. Need a few days notice.
Thanks,
Val

Val

Reaction score
Bishop,
I've noted more than one campground on the area map. What campground are you referring to?
Thanks,
Val

Rick

Reaction score
I think he is referring to the KCL campground. There is a trail/road that you can walk by the outhouses there. Just about any of the side roads intothe hills will take you to decent spots for jack rabbits or squirrels. Just remember - no loaded firearms in vehicles and you cannot even use the hood of your truck for a rest.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom