Carrizo Dove/Yote Hunt

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Well hows about a Dove / Yote Hunt up at Carrizo. The secound half of dove will be open and last year we saw a ton of doves out there at the last years JHP hunt there. We can have another hang out time and shoot the breeezzzz at the campfire, plus it will be cooler out there. So who is in.

p.s. Jesse you gota make this one!!

jmabbott888

Reaction score
I'd be up for it if you can plan it the first 2 weeks of the month, any month. You are right about the weather it should be great probably a little cool lol

yotegetter

Reaction score
I was up there with my dad for the opener and did well. Pops got his limit throughout the day and I managed 7. I found a really good spot. It got lots of pressure the 2nd day and there were still doves, but not as many as opening morning.

I may be in for this one. It's my b'day that week so hopefully I can get out that weekend.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like some good cool weather to look for some pigs.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
John, I thought you might be in on this due to the cooler wheather. Hope to see you there. Gota bring the wash drum for a camp fire.......
I'll bring some wood up. and a BBQ for those who want cook up some meat. We can get into more details later.

tinner

Reaction score
are we talking full blown tent camping or what? how about a family outing? i might be able to talk the wife and kids into it.

tinner

Reaction score
sorry i found the carrizo family hunt. i'll take my posts there.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
tinner, The family is always welcome. I'm goign to bring my son.

steve_77

Reaction score
hello - im new to JHP -- heard about a yote hunt - in Carrizo, where is that exactly? is that like near yosemite? does anyone usu car-pool -- im in brea, ca. Dont know where others are from.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Steve, welcome to JHP. Carrizo's around Maricopa, east of Bakersfield. It's 170 miles from Chino, and about 2 3/4 hrs driving time. That time of the year quail and chuker season will also be open. There's plenty of rabbits, and if we get some rain by then there's the possibility of pig hunting.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
it's "west" of Bakersfield. Sorry, Bishop, don't ya just hate that?!

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Steve. I'm also from Brea & it's an easy drive. Be careful coming in on the 166. Lots of police waiting for folks leaving the 5 & trying to keep up the freeway speeds.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
November 22-23-24 is mon-tue-wed just before thanksgiving correct?
Are you all taking the entire week off?
I'd like to go up there again, but a week of work may be hard to swing.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Mntngoat, November 22-23-24 is a fri-sat-sun. Thanksgiving is on the 28th. I'm going up on Friday the 22nd in the morning and stay until Sunday afternoon. So come on up. I'm goingt to bring my 8 year old son with me, so if you got some youngins bring along.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
Your right I was looking at October I suppose. My mistake!

steve_77

Reaction score
Iwould like to try to attend -- this would be my first huntin trip
and all - and a new area
-- how does this work - do you all meet somewhere? do any of you carpool? Also (sorry for all stupid ?'s) what stuff would someone need aside from a rifle and some ammo / cammo does one need? speaking of cammo - what type is good 4 that area? hmm - uh - and how much will it set me back - do i need special pemits or ?? -- uh anything im forgetting? would be primarily interested in yotes -- starting off with them first would prob. be best.

EVAN III

Reaction score
Steve, Well what you will need is a hunting licence, If you plan on hunting dove, you will need a upland game stamp, Also you would probly want to stop by turners or somewhere and pick up a book of pig stamps. I don't remember, but I believe there around 10 bucks for 5 tags.

The area is mostly brown, so whatever camo you pick make sure it has some brown in it.

Bring enough food for yourself. bring a tent or somewhere to sleep. The weather will probly be pretty cool out there, so bring enough to keep your self warm. At night we all gather around the fire. We have an old washing machine tub that wooks well. Fire wood, if you have some bring it. There isn't normally a problem with wood though, we just about always have extra. Basiclly just bring whatever you need to make yourself comfortable. Don't worry about this being your first time out hunting, there is always someone willing to help a beginner.

Oh ya, count me in for this one. I should be able to make it out fri.

Hey wingman!!!!!!!! You gonna make it this time??????

EVAN III

CSUHunter

Reaction score
Well guys, this sounds like a great get together. Even though it looks to be about a 7 hour drive, I think I am going to make the drive down and go for it. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this board, it really has a sense of family associated with it. I was going to ask a question regarding this that I thought some of the other newcomers may also be wondering. With all these different kinds of game being hunted, what does everybody reccommend bringing firearms wise. I was thinking I would bring my O/U 12 guage for doves, and maybe my 10/22 for rabbits/plinking, then maybe an SKS for the hogs, or 30-06? What would everybody reccomend for yotes? I am without a .223 or small caliber varmit gun, so I guess I will have to step up to something a litle bigger, I don't think the yotes will mind..hehehe. What does everyone reccomend?

Looking forward to it, then I'll have the whole next week off!

Later,
Dan

EVAN III

Reaction score
Dan, Welcome to Jesse's, you are right, this is the best site there is on the web. It's quite a long drive, 7 hours. but you can bet it will be worth it. It's a great place and it's kind of a must see. Well about the guns. There is plenty of different game out there, so you will find yourself bringing a bunch of guns. Shotgun for dove and quail and rabbits. .22 because everyone should have a .22 with them. Also great for rabbits and squrrels. I would say the 30.06 would be a good choine for pigs and yotes. If you have anyother questions , feel free to ask.

EVAN III

Latest Posts

Top Bottom