Carrizo Hog

hogshot

Reaction score
Saw Shines post and thought I would offer a counter view of the things that have been said. There are in fact hogs on the Carrizo. My advice is to get on the west edge and hunt near ranch borders, that way you will be able to intercept them coming and going. It is better when wet, but pigs are where you find them. I have shot them there in March, August and September.
Jason

P.S. Sorry for the blurry pic it was all I had

Attachments

CAjackrabbitWCP

Reaction score
Nice one. There isn't much better than public land pigs in CA.

I like the red coat with those cutters.

hogshot

Reaction score
Shoot it with a bow?

First of all I have spent years honing my skill on public hogs. Taking it with a bow would be awesome, but it has taken me a long time to get to a point where I can take hogs pretty regularly on public land. My next step is with string and stick. I feel like I am just now at a level to begin persuing a pig with archery tackle. I have taken many hogs on public land, some at very short distances. Also from a maturity standpoint it has been difficult to go into the field with a bow when I know I have a better chance with a rifle. I guess I haven't shot enough hogs to be willing to not be a able to shoot a pig at 150 yards. But, soon I will post an archery hog and maybe then you can give me some props.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hogshot,

That's pretty awesome. There aren't a whole lot of guys on here who have had that much success on public land, and even fewer who've had success at Carrizo. Of course, there are probably some who have, but don't wanna say...

Regardless, congrats!

As to bow vs rifle... I hunt with both, and I still love rifle hunting. The bow steps up the challenge if that's what you want, but it doesn't make you more or less of a hunter. Do what you enjoy, and go for what you know... and as Ed Abbey said, never apologize, never explain.

Firemedic

Reaction score
Bow or rifle..thats a damn fine pig. I have taken all of my pigs with a rifle. I am just getting into bowhunting. I can't wait to take a pig with bow someday. The fact that you took it on public land......well done! You have me beat for sure.

Regardless of how you took it, you took it, job well done.

billrob

Reaction score
Thats a beaut!
Carrizo is were I hunt when I have work in Bakersfield.
This is my first year at pig chasing but lady luck will shine on me eventually. With time and knowledge of their patterns.
I'd love to try bow too but to me it seems like littel to no cover and I keep my bow shots to 45yds and under.
I just bought and scoped a .50cal muzzle loader that I hope to bust one with soon.
West side huh?
Are you talking about the area near 166 or 58?

Batch61

Reaction score
What is the best way to enter Carrizzo from Los Angeles?

larrysogla

Reaction score
Batch61,
I usually enter the Carrizo from Highway 166 passing thru the town of Maricopa coming from Freeway 5.
About 10 miles past Maricopa is an abandoned gas station(Philipps 66 I believe) on your right and that is Soda Lake Road. Now the Carrizo is a huge area and the hogs are on the Highway 58 side. Yeah, I did not spill any beans because the Highway 58 side is a gigantic expanse of land. Finding that hog highway or hog bedding area is more than just a matter of luck. It is a matter of intelligent reading of the lay of the land and many, MANY tankfuls of precious, EXPENSIVE liquid called GASOLINE. It is not easy. These Carrizo hog killers are a breed all their own when it comes to tracking and reading the hog patterns. I salute 'em. I have not seen hide nor hair nor sign nor shadow of any Carrizo hogs, though I have been trying for 8 yrs. Well, winners never quit and quitters never win and in between are many thousands of dollars in Chevron and Union 76 gas bills. It is actually cheaper for me to go on an out of state hunt in Texas than try to get the Carrizo PIGGY. It's crazy isn't it. 'Nuff said and watch the gas gauge....'er the gas bill.

Budfarmer805

Reaction score
Shoot it with a bow?

First of all I have spent years honing my skill on public hogs. Taking it with a bow would be awesome, but it has taken me a long time to get to a point where I can take hogs pretty regularly on public land. My next step is with string and stick. I feel like I am just now at a level to begin persuing a pig with archery tackle. I have taken many hogs on public land, some at very short distances. Also from a maturity standpoint it has been difficult to go into the field with a bow when I know I have a better chance with a rifle. I guess I haven't shot enough hogs to be willing to not be a able to shoot a pig at 150 yards. But, soon I will post an archery hog and maybe then you can give me some props.
Do you still hunt Carrizo

Latest Posts

Top Bottom