Carrizo Plains

gozags09

Reaction score
I got drawn for the second weekend of dove season at Carrizo Plains Ecological Reserve. Does anyone out there know anything about this place? It's going to be about a 3.5 hour drive for me and I was just wondering if they have loads of dove; enough to make the trip worth it. Thanks.

IK13

Reaction score
Carrizo by itself is not a dove hunting place by any stretch.
The Chimeneas unit/ranch, which I believe these hunts will be held at, is probably better.

gozags09

Reaction score
I'm not gonna have time to scout. should be interesting. Chimeneas makes up Carrizo so I'm guessing these are the areas we can hunt. i hope DFG has some info because from what I've heard its rather large.

TonyS

Reaction score
If you haven't ever been there its worth the trip. 14 miles by 39 miles. Looks like cowboy movies you saw as a kid.

Daveyboy

Reaction score
What part is the eco reserve? I have scouted it earlier this year and did see some decent spots holding dove. I ask what part because it was much earlier this year that I scouted and forget what part the reserve is. is that the non shooting zone around soda lake?

Last edited:

Daveyboy

Reaction score
I thought most of the carrizo area is open for hunting upland? Obviously not in the landmark areas, valley floor, soda lake, etc. but the BLM stuff --but is it more restricted?

Pierpont

Reaction score
I thought most of the carrizo area is open for hunting upland? Obviously not in the landmark areas, valley floor, soda lake, etc. but the BLM stuff --but is it more restricted?
They're talking about the ecological reserve its west of the plains.

Top Bottom