Case Head Separation

nelbosco

Reaction score
I am new to reloading and am currently loading .223 rem to use in a new Ruger M77 MarKII Compact(16.5 inch barrel & shorter forend) bolt rifle. I began to develope visible case wall thining approx. .250 inches from the case head. I always checked my primers for overpressure signs but they seemed normal. The brass is LC 00 and 01 from Remington remanufactured rounds that I have reloaded five times. I have always neck sized but full length sized the cases once for the experience. Before I shoot my reloads I fire two rounds of the remington remanufactured rounds to make sure my chrono is set up right. This past weekend one of the factory reloads showed the exact same case wall thinning that my reloads show. Is it the brass, the chamber,over pressure? All comments are welcomed.

N135 powder
V_max 55 grain
Starting load 22.4 gr.
Case separation signs at 25.0 gr
Winchester Primers

ricciardelli

Reaction score
Your load is well within tolerances...
N-135 From 20.5 grains to 26.8 grains
Remington 7-1/2 Primer

Have you actually had a case come apart?

Have you cut open a case and measured the "wall thinning"?

Or are you simply looking at the ring normally associated with a reloaded case?

http://stevespages.com/diagnosingproblems.html

nelbosco

Reaction score
I have had a case almost come apart. I made the paper clip tool and the groove is definetly there on some cases and visible as a distinct fracture line on others. I contacted Ruger and they want me to send in the rifle. I am taking it to my dealer and have them send it to the service department.

ricciardelli

Reaction score
You don't have to take it to your dealer, unless you really want to. You can send a firearm for repair without the extra step.

Phil

Reaction score
Sounds like headspacing problems. Pushing the shoulder back too far during full length resizing can cause this problem. If your having the problem with factory loaded rounds, then I would suspect Ruger or a qualified gunsmith needs to check it out. If you want to send the gun back to Ruger, you can send it directly to Ruger yourself.

AMMOe

Reaction score
Nelbosco: You might be complicating things by using brass that came from mixed 'lots' and was remanufactured (reloaded) before you bought it. Scrap your brass, get new factory brass, then fire-form it to your chamber by nudging the bullet against the rifling for the first firing. After that, neck-size. Be sure to trim each time you reload. (I use the Lee: cheap, fast and accurate) You didn't mention trimming but in a tightly throated chamber it doesn't take much of a lengthening to raise chamber pressures.

Try some new brass. I'm sure you'll get better results.~AMMOe

nelbosco

Reaction score
AMMOe:

I also use the Lee trimmer and trim each time, I always prefer neck sizing only. I will use new brass but was concerned that over pressure signs where apprearing with brand new factory ammo. Ruger has the rifle now and as I am writing they are casting the chamber.

Thanks for everyones input.

Top Bottom