• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Cast bullets can shoot

Muir

Do you ever shoot in freezing weather? My T/C lubed bullets shed frozen lube like mad. ~Muir

myfriendis410

I live in a pretty benign climate. Once the bullet is loaded into the case it wouldn't matter what the temp is anyway. The trick is to heat the lube.

Muir

Gotcha. I use is for my 1859 Sharps Business Rifle which is a 54 caliber paper cartridge gun. In freezing weather the lube (applied hot) tends to fracture and fall off.~Muir

myfriendis410

You should probably be using a more traditional lube that contains SPG and beeswax. Lyman makes a good one, but it's kinda smoky. Not a consideration for you using blackpowder.

myfriendis410

The last month or so I've been kind of "going back to school" on bulletcasting and I've sent a LOT of rounds downrange with the Sharps. Learned a bunch, and this time I have been saving my targets with their data to refer back in years to come. (I hate that feeling: "Didn't I already try that powder/bullet/primer?") I'm getting much more consistent results, aided in part by having a chronograph. I am also using my own formula of bullet lube, which hopefully will allow slightly higher velocities. The barrel is resting on bags at 9" from the front of the forearm to take advantage of a node (natural frequency).

My shoulder is yellow with a fading bruise, there's a tick in my right eye, but here's the result.

Attachments

ltdann

When you gonna take it off the 50 foot range and move it over to 25 yards?:stir pot:

I mean, someday, your going to have to use the big-boy range and, gasp, shoot at 100 yds!

Also, I see you got that bullet tumbling problem worked out.:bag-on-head:

myfriendis410

You're just jealous.

I can't hunt, so I might as well work on my loads. That's basically why I own this rifle. It was meant for a big cast bullet.

Really; the next time you're up, you need to come by and check out my setup.

The next step is to shoot a slightly softer alloy and see if I can get similar results. I have 'em loaded up and am waiting for the rain and wind to stop. Rain in May? Gimme a break! (The hogs are gonna LOVE this rain......)

ltdann

One of these trips up, I'd love to see the setup. Thing is, we're normally hunting our butts off in the limited time we have. One day...

Yeah, the hog's love this rain, now if we could just get the CO to cooperate. You know, FPCON Bravo is probably going to stay for the rest of the year. Hell, after 9/11, the only shut down for 10 days!

Top Bottom