Cast bullets for 7.62x54R russian and 303 brit.

jchrist1

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with accuracy with these rifles.Are you shooting GC or plain base bullets....and at what velocity? What grain bullet?:lol bashing sign:

472x1A/B

Reaction score
Haven't shot any yet. That mold for the .303 Brit is on the wish list though. Other molds have priority. When that one does appear will have casting and shooting stats to post.

jchrist1

Reaction score
Hey 472! hows it goin? Sorry I went missing. I havn't forgotten the 45 long colt. I have just berried myself again with things to do and time. Tryin to dig out once again. Got into buyin' scopes on ebay at first. Then went to knives. This canceled my time with God and shooting. ebay addiction can be suttle,( LOOK OUT)!!! Ever had this problem? Up to five months ago I knew nothing about computers. I blame my wife.She didn't realize she woke up a sleeping ebay monster . Ain't it funny how we think we need more and more? Anyway 472, just wanted to say HI !! CHECK HOW YOU ARE DOIN'. EVERYTHINGS FINE DOWN HERE INSANE DIEGO. Come back!! HAWK.

res45

Reaction score
First thing you need to do is slug the bore on each of the rifles and measure the groove to groove dia.,bore dia. can vary widely in each rifle and you will need to cast a bullet that between .01 and .02 over that groove dia.

I use the Lee TLGC 160 gr. bullet in my Mosin M44,my bullets drops right at .313 and 165 grs. using plain old WW alloy. I apply one coat of my Lee Alox/Johnson's Paste Wax tumble lube mix let dry then apply the GC with a Lee .314 push through sizer and then apply the second coat of TL before loading.

I use the C.E. Harris load of 16 grs. of Alliant 2400 which shoot about a 1" [email protected] yds. in my M44 with factory sights,MV runs about 1500+ on the chrono. I use the same bullet with 12.5 grs of 2400 in my SKS rifles for a light plinking load as well as sizing it down to .311 for use in my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav.

The main thing is to use a bullet that best fits your bore for both accuracy and to eliminate leading,depending on your bore size you may need to go up to a .314 dia. bullet mold or larger. Lyman and several custom mold Co's sell molds of various sizes.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
First thing you need to do is slug the bore on each of the rifles and measure the groove to groove dia.,bore dia. can vary widely in each rifle and you will need to cast a bullet that between .01 and .02 over that groove dia.

I use the Lee TLGC 160 gr. bullet in my Mosin M44,my bullets drops right at .313 and 165 grs. using plain old WW alloy. I apply one coat of my Lee Alox/Johnson's Paste Wax tumble lube mix let dry then apply the GC with a Lee .314 push through sizer and then apply the second coat of TL before loading.

I use the C.E. Harris load of 16 grs. of Alliant 2400 which shoot about a 1" [email protected] yds. in my M44 with factory sights,MV runs about 1500+ on the chrono. I use the same bullet with 12.5 grs of 2400 in my SKS rifles for a light plinking load as well as sizing it down to .311 for use in my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav.

The main thing is to use a bullet that best fits your bore for both accuracy and to eliminate leading,depending on your bore size you may need to go up to a .314 dia. bullet mold or larger. Lyman and several custom mold Co's sell molds of various sizes.
That's .001"-.002" over.

Muir

Reaction score
If you want real accuracy cast and size to .001 to .002" under throat diameter. This necessitates casting your chamber but it's worth it. It's amazing how many .311 groove diameter rifles will digest a .315" bullet with ease. ~Muir

472x1A/B

Reaction score
yup, +1 to what res45 said. Gotta slug the bore, that's what I've found out, lately.

Muir

Reaction score
My mosin measures .300 bore and .319 grooves
Yikes! Sucks to be you!! ;) How are you handling the cast bullet problem? Bullets for a 32 Winchester / 32-40 at .321" should work, eh?~Muir

Top Bottom