CBH & Big Game Hunters

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I think you are talking about the Big Game Club??? They are one in the same. The BGC is a division of CBH.

Basically, CBH is the state organization for archery and bowhunting in Ca. CBH is divided into three sub groups. Target archery, Field archery and Bowhunting. The BGC handles the Bowhunting side- Record keeping, publishing the record book, fighting for hunters rights and bowhunting opportunities (more elk tags!!!), putting on the State Broadhead shoot and putting on the biannual awards banquet which is in Jan 09. Ed F

Reaction score
And thats all she wrote!

Thanks Ed, I was trying to figure out how to say just that and couldn't................

Hunting weekend hangover I think.

FT

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Ed, maybe you can help me out here on this...A discussion over the weekend was about the Mt Lion issues and in regards to us not being able to 'legally' posses one even taken from another state (BS!)...

How come CBH has not done something about this or attemtped to do anything about this...If they have I'm not aware of it and this is my question, as I didn't know when it came up. Thanks!

madhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Bowunter,

So do you just join CBH and you are a member of the Big Game Club also? Or is it seperate?

Thanks

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
It's separate. A large part of CBH is non hunting archers. There are several different levels of membership in the BGC.

Associate- When you enter your first animal and are a current member of CBH. The animal doesn't have to qualify for the record book, it has to be one of the recognized species. Example would be taking a Mule deer doe. Some species, coyote and bobcat, are not measured and turned in for "species credit", just as the mule deer doe would be.

Regular- When you enter four different species and at least two of them qualify for the record book. Example, record book mule deer, record book black bear, Blacktail deer doe, and a coyote. There is a one time $30 fee to become a regular member.

Senior - When you enter six different species and six of them qualify for the record book. There is a one time $30 fee to become a senior member.

Lifetime - At the time of joining as a regular member, if you pay $50, you will qualify as a lifetime member in the BGC, so when you advance to senior member you will not have to pay the additional $30, saving you $10.

All these different levels are acknowledged with a certificate at the biannual banquet.

Ike, Great question. I was told that it has never been challenged. I'm gonna ask some more questions. I'm wondering why SCI hasn't been all over this. They have the resources ($$$) and the membership (###) to take this on. Ed F

d'hunter

Reaction score
Bowuntr,

When you are talking about animals entered for "species credit", these are all animals that would have to have been taken in California, correct?

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Yes, CBH is for animals taken in Ca. Ed F

d'hunter

Reaction score
Thanks! I guess I'll have to sign up & start this year!

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOWUNTR @ Jul 22 2008, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ike, Great question. I was told that it has never been challenged. I'm gonna ask some more questions. I'm wondering why SCI hasn't been all over this. They have the resources ($$$) and the membership (###) to take this on. Ed F[/b]
That one's been brought up to....I don't think they have!

madhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bowunter. Six species, sounds like a challenge. Does crow or ground squirrel count, they were in CA? How about a carp?

Thanks again.

madhunter

Reaction score
Do you have to harvest a "book" animal to become a member? Where do I sign up?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
No you don't madhunter. Just go here and click on membership: http://www.cbhsaa.net/ Thanks for your support.

For BGC assoc membership, you just need to harvest one species of a recognizable critter, regarless of size. Just has to be legal. No fish and no small game, just big game (coyotes, turkeys and bobcts are accepted).

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Ed,
They give you credit for each species but not for everytime you take that species in separate years. Correct!
Pat

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
They give you credit for each species but not for everytime you take that species in separate years. Correct![/b]
Pat, I'm not sure what you are asking. You can turn in any animal you want, as many as you want, as long as they are a recognized species. There is no real reason why you would need to turn in more than one species credit per species except for bobcat and coyote. We keep track of the number of bobcats and coyotes taken by each hunter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
They have to be 6 different species right?[/b]
Yes, if you are referring to Senior membership.

The BGC recognizes 16 different species of Game. There is also a subdivision of the BGC that records small game. Believe it or not it's called the Small Game Club. That's where you turn your squirrel in to!!! Hope this helps and welcome aboard madhunter. CBH has a lot of things to offer. Thanks. Ed F

You can go here for more info JHO CBH link

and here CBH BGC web site

madhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Bowuntr,

So a turkey that has spurs is considered nontypical? Are those harder than I think to find in CA?

Rmoor2

Reaction score
Ike, CBH/SAA is not actively pursuing the mountain lion issue at this time. This was a voter approved referendum and in order to get a change the voters must approve the change like they did in Washington State.
That is a big hurdle with a state of registered voters of over 10 million. This was tried a few years after it passed and it failed also by a 70/30 margin.

I don't think anyone has challege the law in court per say.
Now if you were take a mountain lion legally in another state and brought that back into Calif. and then be ticketed you may have something to work with.
Would Interstate Commerce Laws be involved or could be used?
Would you even find a game warden to write the ticket?

It will take all sportsmens organizations working together to get this law changed. Funding will be one of the biggest hurdles.

Rmoor

Top Bottom