Cedarville Squirrel Roundup?

DanV

Reaction score
Read about this hunt (no info) in another topic elsewhere in JHP. This is supposedly planned for March, anyone have any other info on this hunt? Is it a JHP get together hunt or something else? Not sure exactly where Cedarville is but believe it is up around Alturas, N.E. Ca. , would be nice to have a get together in Central- Northern Ca. Any info would be much appreciated, Thanks.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I beleive this is an annual hunt the local farmers/ranchers have. There an awards banquest for those who shot the most. Check out Varmintal.com He's been up there and has some pictures and stories about it.

ranchwife

Reaction score
The squirrel round up is in Cedarville, CA. Cedarville is 21 miles east of Alturas, in the extreme northeastern part of California. It is a small farming community that has a large ground squirrel problem. The competition usually lasts the whole weekend and has prizes. For information of the hunt, I'd contact the Modoc County Farm advisors office at 530-233-6400 or the Alturas Chamber of Commerce at 530-233-4434, or the Modoc County Farm Bureau at 530-233-3276. There is also a number listed in the book for the round up at (530) 279-2001. Lodging is nice and real inexpensive here in Alturas.
Let me know if any of this helps.

mustystubs

Reaction score
I called the Greater Surprise Valley Chamber of Commerce in Cedarville (530) 279-2001 and it took them about two weeks to get back to me. They apparently rely on volunteers. They have a quota of 150 shooters but at last count had only filled about 70 places. You have to have your money in by March 10th.

If you want me to copy the registration material and send it to any of you e-mail me with your mailing address and I'll see what I can do. Might be safer than relying on the CofC.

I've never been, but I understand that the shoot may be restricted to rimfires only.

DanV

Reaction score
Thanks to mustystubs and ranchwife, excellent info. Was hopeing this was a JHP hunt, too much travel time for varmints unless a hunt has a dual purpose; say a little beer drinking and B.S.ing with some new friends from this site.

mustystubs

Reaction score
Rock:

The date is March 23rd. The bad news is, I just called about six ranchers and they are all filled up for the 23rd. I intend to call some more tomorrow, but it doesn't look good.

Same old problem, too many people attempting to access too few recreational oppurtunities.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Just a suggestion - if the Surprise Valley ranches are filled up, why not try and contact some ranchers in the Davis Creek/Pine area (20-36 Miles north of Alturas respectively). They have a hugh squirrel problem. This is not part of the Cedarville squirrel round up, but it is worth a try if you want to hunt squirrels.

mustystubs

Reaction score
I was finally able to find a rancher in the Ft. Bidwell area who wasn't filled up but now it looks like the weather is going to ruin things. The forecast for Friday is showers with rain and snow on Saturday. I just called Super 8 in Alturas to cancel my reservation.

It's been incredibly cold up there of late. Morning temperatures in the teens with wind chills of zero degrees. I can't see sitting on a shooting bench all day in the wind and snow even if there were squirrels to shot at.

Apparently ranchers in that part of the state welcome responsible varmint shooters because environmental considerations prevent them from poisoning the ground squirrels. Anyway, when the weather warms up I hope to make it up there.

ranchwife

Reaction score
I think that you cancelled your reservations too soon. Currently it is 61 degrees (a high) and the lows have been in the upper 30's. It is to get a little cloudy Friday and Saturday, then a chance of showers on Sunday. It was in the teens last week and we haven't had a very low wind chill factor this week. It is supposed to be a fairly nice weekend though. Maybe if you call Super 8, they still may have rooms.

Advertisement

Top Bottom