Cell phone batteries?

J tidwell

Reaction score
Would old nickel metal or newer lithiom ion cell phone batteries work to run game cams.  Could they be wired in series/parallel to get the correct amount of juice?  Just wondering because I would have a good supply of them plus chargers.
Thanks,
JT

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum J tidwell. Both nickel metal or lithiom ion cell phone batteries will work. Just make sure on the polarity when you solder up the batteries.

Having access to a bunch of batteries and chargers is a big help in cutting costs.

J tidwell

Reaction score
If cell phone batteries are 7.2v and 300mAH would it be worth the trouble to wire them up to get enough capacity?  Would you wire them in series or parallel?
Thanks,
JT

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi JT,
The 7.2V should be fine, but depending upon what sensor you use, 300mAh might not yield much functional time.  You could try wiring up several packs in parallel to get a higher capacity, but that can be tricky because each battery must be at the same potential - otherwise the weakest batt will draw down the stronger batts - sometimes with very unpleasant results!

If you use a low-power sensor - such as the RS 49-425 or a home-made circuit - you could probably get away with just one batt pack.
>>>
Just did the math...One of those batt packs could run my home-made sensor/timer circuits for ~ 60 days - sure wish I had a bunch laying around!!

Archilochus

J tidwell

Reaction score
If you did the math for the cheaper Regent sensor what kind of lifetime are we looking at approx.  Would it help to take two and bump them up to 14.4v?
JT

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi JT,
I think the Regent sensor uses ~1.5mA ... So that would be approx. 200 hours. ( 300mAh / 1.5mA )
Connecting the batts in *series* yields a higher voltage. Having a higher voltage won't help much at all.  What you'd need to do is connect them in *parallel* to get a higher capacity (or mAh rating)  But the warning in my last post applies to parallel connected batts.

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom