Cell Phone for So Cal?

Hager

Reaction score
Hi all, I am moving down to Carlsbad next week and want to get a cell phone plan does anyone have any ideas?  My main concerns are if I can use it at work, which is Camp Pendleton and secondly, if I can use it hunting in southern Cal.
Any suggestions would be great.

Marty

Reaction score
That's a tricky one.  Check coverage maps first.  Then check rate plans.  However, don't expect any of the coverage to apply to Pendleton.  I have AT&T and my coverage will "blackout" in the inner range of the base.  (I used to use that one as an excuse for being late at home - until my wife remembered there were pay phones).

Coverage in the populated areas of the base can be spotty.  Residing in Carlsbad, you'll want a carrier with decent coverage and no roaming charges throughout So.Cal.  I was outside my home range down in Niland.  And coverage can be "blacked-out" nearer the border.

As a side note, when I visit my sister and bro-inlaw up at EAFB, I can go from no coverage, to roaming, to home coverage, in a hundred yards and 20' in elevation.

foulshot

Reaction score
Hager, I have Verizon and fairly good coverage.  I'm not sure about Pendleton though.  I know that I don't have any problems along the 5 in front of the base.  I take my phone up into the Cuyamacas and Laguna and the coverage is spotty, but suprising in some areas.  I have not had any problems down in Imperial Valley except when you are right along the border and get a Mexican Cell site.
My plan is a 12 western states no roaming fees.  I have a buddy that has Nextel and is very happy with his coverage also but I can't tell you more than that.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hello Hager,

I picked the older Verizon (L.A. Cellular) cell phone because I run in the boonies a lot. The newer PCS phone system coverage hasn't caught up with the older cell system coverage. Many times I can get a signal and someone with me that has a PCS phone has no signal. If you're wanting just urban coverage the newer systems and phone probably are the better deal.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Hager

If you want good coverage try to find a dual band system. When I use to have ATT then LA Cellular I had coverage in some pretty remote places in central Nevada. Now with Cingular, after about two years I now get spotty coverage off 395 in the Owens Valley/Bishop/Mammoth corridor. The majority of the digital systems are in metropolitan areas and along the Interstates.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I have Cingular, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I have several friends who work in the telcom industry and they said Cingular has oversold the network.  So many times you try to call, but get the "All circuits are busy" message.

I recently heard that because of numerous complaints, the PUC is looking into Cingular.

Just my $.02.

Oh yeah, the coverage is horrible in Imperial Valley.

Top Bottom