Cheap Game Camera

shadow

Reaction score
MADE A GOOD GAME CAM FOR A TOTAL OF ABOUT $46.00 using part of Jesse's plans and buying everything...Thanks for giving public access to your plans.  The big money save for me was finding the light at Wal-Mart.  I am not an electrical engineer or any of the sort but a few well placed questions to a couple of engineers put me on the right tract with just adding a reed relay to the light to close the circuit for the camera.  I then used your plans on modifying the camera.

1.  Green Ammo Can $3.00(Army surplus store)
2.  One tube Clear Caulk $2.00(Home Depot)
3.  Portable Motion Light (Wal-Mart sells it for $10.49...in the hardware dept...it is a small motion/heat activated light powered by 4 AA's)
       a. Light sense's heat/movement for about 30 feet (good enough for a camera flash)
       b. includes all components from the sensor and board to the battery holder etc...
       c.  includes a plug on the side to plug in a 6 volt power source. (lantern battery but it won't be needed, it should last all season on 4 AA's since all it is doing is closing the circuit and not running any lights etc...
       d.  compact design fits great in the green ammo can or you can "strip" the insides out and put in a different container all together.
4.  Cannon Owl AF camera on EBAY $21.00
5.  5 volt Reed Relay $2.49 (radio shack)
6.  Stereo speaker wire $1.89(Home Depot)
7.  Stereo head phone jacks to connect camera to light $1.99(radio shack)
8.  Small toggle switch $1.49 (used to turn the system off and on)(radio shack)
9.  Small momentary switch $1.49 (used for testing the batteries and connecting it to the light bulb which came with the light)(radio shack)
10. foam to cushion everything in can $free (had it laying around)

The only down side to this camera, which in some folks opinion is not a bad thing, is that is only resets after 30 seconds or after no movement is detected which ever is longer.  On the up side you won't get 10 pictures of the same animal during the same visit to the feeder nor will it "spook" the deer by taking a picture then when they turn to look at what flashed take another picture "blinding" them...I know I hate flash's going off in my face.

Thanks again for your help even though you didn't know you did...

I placed the camera out on July 5th and will be checking it on this coming weekend..Hope to have some good Pics come out of it.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Shadow,

Good job on your first cam, before to long, you'll have a bunch of them. You can't complain about a few duplicate pics for $46.

Just curious, what was the brand name of the battery operated motion sensor you bought from Wal-Mart?

CB

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
shadow, welcome to JHP. Good job on your first cam. Look forward to seeing some pics.

shadow

Reaction score
I believe it is an "Amertec" light.  It is white about 6" tall and about 4" wide and about 2 or 3" thick.  It has the light on top within about a 4" circle cover then just below it is the sensor then below it is an "On-Off-Auto" switch which I "glued to the auto setting.  I then placed a switch on the negitive side to turn the unit on/off.  Like I said I'm not a pro.  The light also has a day/night sensor that I taped up so it will stay on all the time and take day or night pics.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I've been corrosponding with Grega about this PIR and I have found we had it hooked up the same, but with radically different results. I've about decided that the ine I have may have a problem. Figured out how to shorten the 30 sec. trigger and will post some stuff after I talk to greg a little more.

shadow

Reaction score
Thanks I would be interested in shortening the 30 second delay.  Here are a couple of pics of the camera.  I will get some of the inside of the light this week and post them as well.  Keep in mind I am not a pro at this so my next camera will look a bit better but function the same.  I actually had my child run across the yard to test the camera and it worked great...day and night.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Shadow, congrats on your cam. Feels good to do it yourself huh? You sure saved yourself some money. Looking forward to the pics. MC.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If this is the AmerTac Automatic Motion Activated Utility Lite, you can switch out R18 with a lower value to shorten the trigger hold. It is currently a 2.2 meg resistor, and switching it out to around 700k should work for about 10 sec. You may have to play with it a little.

chili

Reaction score
If the Amertac is retriggerable then wouldn't it cause the cam to lock up after 3 minutes or so of movement or is that just for the Owl PF?

shadow

Reaction score
I didn't have any problems with the camera locking up.  I set in the yard while the kids played and it took a picture when they started then about 5 minutes went by and I had the kids leave the area and let the light reset then come back and it took another picture.  Granted this is not a month long test but a simple one day and about an hour at night then off to the woods it went.  I figure if I can get an idea of whats coming thru the area it's good enough for me...when I go hunting I normally sit there for hours anyway...at least now I will know before I get there if the spot is worth hunting or if I need to move to a different spot.  Persistance always pays off.

Butch you seemed to have played with this light, or atleast looked at it, before did you have any problems with it?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I have  determined that the one I have has a factory defect. It did work some today, but is sporatic. I probibly will get another soon, then I will finish my tests and post recommended mods.

MBullism

Reaction score
Congrats on your cam, shadow, and welcome (even though you've been lurking :lurk: LOL)

You guys that are working with these PIRs, Is the day/night switchable, or does it just turn the light on in the dark, ie: I understand how you could take only night pics, or tape it up and fool it to take day and night.  Any way to take just day?  This might be a nice feature as opening day approaches...

shadow

Reaction score
OK I just put a second one together since the first is in the woods already and here's what I found.  I checked the R18 and it messured 783 on my meter (remember I'm not a pro at this)  I tried a 400 and the light wouldn't work...I then tried a 1000 and the light didn't work...I put the original back on and it worked.  I also then kept activity in front of it for 10 minutes then walked away for 1 minute then I walked in front of it and it took it's picture the way it needed to.

Butch anything you can do to make this a better system and keep the price down would always be a plus in my book.

I only plan on making these for myself and the other two guys on my lease to use on our lease.  We want a total of about 4 to 5 and at $50 a pop that add's up but not bad for what ya get (I wouldn't go spending $200 on one)...as my wife always reminds me just somthing else to "waist" money on...but she Loves the meat when I bring it home.

Thanks to everyone who responed and all the ideas and questions on what if's and try that.  As soon as I get my pics back you'll be the second to see them.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Are you using 1/4 watt, 5% tolerance resistors?

R18 has 2 red and a green band. = 22x100000=2.2 meg. recheck what you pulled.

(Edited by ****** at 6:50 pm on July 10, 2002)

shadow

Reaction score
Yes I picked up a multi pack from radio shack.  500 piece 1/4 watt 5%.  You are also correct on the colors on the resistor which I pulled.  The colors on the ones I tried are as follows:
Brown-brown-gold
orange-white-brown-gold
brown-gray-red-gold

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I've got a 220k in mine that worked well for the short period it worked at all. It had some problems before I ever cut the light off it, and think it may be the switch, or the LM324N may have had a problem. I'll try to tear the switch apart in the next day or two and short it. If I'm not mistaken, R18 works with C3 to set the 30sec timming sequence. I may have to get another one to try.

HoTShoT

Reaction score
Looking foward to some pics!!

Mike  

Top Bottom