Cheapo Digital Cam

gizz

Reaction score
Wonder what it costs. I click on "buy" but I see it is "out of stock". No price listed.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Eagle Eye,
I sure would like to check it out, but I get nothing but a blank purple page when I follow the link.
I'll have to do a search , see if I can find anything similar.

Archilochus

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
Had to view their page with Navigator - Explorer would not work.

This is an interesting camera.  No specs were given for operating temperature  or range / Field Of View for the cams sensor and IR illuminator.
The big problem with it (and digital cams in general) is the power consumption.  This beast will only last about 12 hours in the "alarm" (spy)  mode.

Any idea if this is the camera used in the "Game-Vu" - The specs sound very similar.

Archilochus

Matt in MO

Reaction score
On the FAQs page it states the camera goes into sleep mode after ?? minutes of non-use and requires a single press of the shutter to wake it up. Difficult to overcome, I think.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Matt,
That's only when the cam is in regular mode.  When switched into the "alarm" (spy) mode - enabling the cams motion sensor - the cam stays on all the time (until film buffer is full or batts are low).  That's why the cam sucks up the batts in 12 hours.

Archilochus

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
gizz, my father in-law brought this to my attention, seems YAHOO sent him an e-mail with an offer for this camera. He was looking for a digital camera to use around the farm and asked my opinion. I told him you get what you pay for so he didnt order one,  Had  I been thinking he could have been our guniea pig.  Anyway I believe the cost was around 80 bucks.

(Edited by Eagle Eye at 7:41 am on May 17, 2001)

wfontjr

Reaction score
i bought one off ebay for $45, the picture quality is very poor, also it downloads the pictures when its in the mood, the motion sensor takes consecutive pictures, i think 20 or so with no counter, i plan on taking it apart someday and expermenting, but so far have not found the time

wfontjr

Reaction score
uses infared lights, has about six emitters around the shutter

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Do you know the effective distance of the Infrared Flash.  The reason I ask is because I gave my 10 year old an AGFA CL18 digital camera for his birthday, and in total darkness the flash is only good for 3 feet. I was a planning a father/son project with me doing an Owl PF, and him with the little $49 digital camera. We have plenty of animals here in the suburbs that come up out of the storm sewers, and mountain lions who chase them.  Not to mention the coyote warning signs.  When I was a kid I don't remember the animals coming that close to town.

dharter

Reaction score
What is the resolution of that camera?  
I have a WWF Slam Cam that I bought for $20.00  It is a digital camera.  I just looked at the manual for the resolution, but I can't find it.  I think its resolution is 320  by ___ pixels.  The pictures it takes are not very good and it has a sleep mode.  I think that you would want a camera with at least 640 by 480 pixels which is what VGA is.  
A sleep mode would not be so bad if you could wake the camera up to take a picture before an animal leaves the field of view. When an animal trips the sensor, you could wake up the camera.  
Then a timer would take a picture after the camera had "woke" up. A third 555 timer could then prevent multiple pictures in succession of the same animal.
The question is how long does it take the camera to wake up?  For my WWF Slam cam toy it is about 4 seconds and if there is not a lot of light it won't take a picture.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom