Bow Runner

Reaction score
What is the cheapest cam I can make.  I am an college student and can not afford the 400 dollar cams.  if someone could have some suggestions i would appreciate it.
What camera does it use.  What would be the total cost?  And if you have time a breakdown of items and price.  

Bow Runner

Reaction score
i should probably clarify what i would like to include on my cam.

time on picture,
event counter,

also can someone give me a link to make just an event counter. no cam.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Bow Runner, I made a cam for less than 40 dollars once. I bought a canon owl AF Date off of ebay for $8.95 and a RS PIR for $9.00 on sale and a ammo box from the army surplus for $3.50 plus a little camo tape $5.00 a few switches and wire $5.00.So as you can see you can build one cheap. Most of the Owl AFs on ebay go for around $25.00 now. So you can still build one for around $60.00. As far as an event counter I think Tinhorn,Brian or one of the others have a schematic for one. I'm sure they will leave a post here. Good luck!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi BR,
Well... you can build a nice dateback trail-cam for well under 100US$ if you're good at scrounging bits here & there.  For a basic event counter to go with the cam, you'll probably want to go with one of Brians controller ICs.  Read Jesses main 'cam page' and the past posts in this forum for tons of ideas!

When you say event counter - do you mean event/time/date - or just the number of events??  Lots of difference in price between the two!!

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 5:37 am on July 5, 2002)

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
If you build your own timer board and use brians chip, a serpac or pelican box and an owl PF with the MS20 you can get away for less than $100.  This would be a top of the line set-up with the best of everything.  Buy the Fuji AF60 on sale at kmart for 18.99 and use an ammo can and you are down to $55 to $60.   Give up the event counter (and the control chip) and you can get below $50 and still have delays but the Af60 won't work without the refresh.  If you are in a "virgin" area check all the pawn shops for some of the canon cameras.  They don't bring much except to a homebrewer.  Basicaly the skys tthe limit in reverse.  Better yet build two, keep one and sell the other to a friend who dosen't want to build his own.  Everybody wins.

TmKarren

Reaction score
You can get a camera without time/date on ebay for around $10 bucks.  That is about the cheapest you can go..

Canuck

Reaction score
Cheapest camera I have Built---

Cannon LX Date Back Camera (Pawn Shop) -  5.99
Regent Sensor - 7.99
Low Power Mod Pars - 3.49
Relay - 1.49
Lock and Lock Storage Box - 4.99
Wire - 0.25
Test Light and Switch - 3.87
Camo Tape - 1.00
Glass - Free

Total 29.07

And That Canadian Dollars --->   ~17.50 American.

Can't get much cheaper I dont think, and waterproof to boot.

Bow Runner

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you guys but wth the 4th i have been busy.  

Here's the scoop.  i want to build a trail cam with a time(event counter) on it.  I already have a cheap camera.  a Halina Ansco Silhouette (i have never heard of it myself).  I need a link to the place where it shows me how to make this. (have looked myself but you know how it is, you can never find anything that you are looking for)

The second thing i want to build is an event counter (no camera) motion sensor for my brothers birthday. (just records the date and time everytime something trips the sensor).  I want it to keep track of date and time or at least time.  not sure how many events i need it to keep track of but a fair amount would be nice.  pretty simple but it is someplace to start.  any body have a link that i can find direction to this at.   i am horrible at making things but with directions i know i can do it. (i also have a father that can help me if all else fails)  but i would like to try and make it myself.

Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.

davered1

Reaction score
unless that camera has a electronic shutter you will need aselenoid to activate.you will invest just about as much money into the selenoid assembly as you can buy a polaroid 2400FF or owl AF from ******. he sells them pretty cheap http://******.com

also the camera must be fully automatic (is yours?)

Not sure about the motion sensing counter but for another 25$ on top of the price you build it for you can add a camera and give him a complete camera for his birthday!!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi BR,
As I mentioned before, recording just the number of events is fairly simple.  Recording (and displaying) the time (and / or date) with those events gets more costly.  Contact Brian.... he may have something available.  If not, you could always use a 'Hobo' event data-logger from Onset computers.... but you'd be looking at 80.00+US$.

Archilochus

Bow Runner

Reaction score
everyone keeps telling me to contact brian. remember i am new here who's brian and how do i contact him.

JoelM

Reaction score
Can message Brian. Right now he is the last reply on the s200 thread.
Just read that thread and click on message.

I am sure he will read this and reply to you soon though.

Joel

Top Bottom