chigger Treament ??

D Letho

Reaction score
Hello all,

Was just wondering how differant people deal with chiggers. I was told by our family doctor a few years ago (he is a big time bow hunter) to use Head lice shampoo on your body as you would on your head. I have done this for about 3 years and it seems to work.                                                                                                                              
    I posted this on the NJORVP web page to someone that got a few of them from the park. Someone replied back and wrote this "Hi all-
About the lice shampoo suggestion- the chemicals in lice shampoo can be absorbed through the skin and cause serious problems. Be EXTREMELY cautious..."

I disagree with this since it is made for the body. Some people use it in other areas were the skin is alot more sencative for other critters.(curved for our yunger readers). I could be wrong so that is why I am asking you guys!

What do you guys or gals use ? A old timer told me that Bengay works the best kills them right away. I have tried this yet but will this fall bow.
       Thanks ,
                   Don

shadow

Reaction score
I use a cap full of bleach in a bath...relax and get rid of the chiggers all in one shot.  Works every time.  If I'm going away over night I take a small bottle of clear finger nail polish and dab it on the spot, it sufficates the chigger and your problem ends.

TScottW99

Reaction score
Chiggers
These tiny (1/150 of an inch), orange, yellow, or red mites are not dangerous but can cause you a lot of misery.
Sitting in grass, walking through underbrush or along the road where the beautiful wildflowers bloom can make you the host for many chigger meals.
The larvae can barely be seen as they crawl on the skin surface of the host in search of an appropriate attachment site. When a suitable location is found, such as a skin pore or hair follicle, the chigger attaches its mouthparts to the spot. On humas, chiggers prefer places where the clothing fits tightly over the skin or where the skin is thin or wrinkled.
Contrary to popular opinion, chiggers do not burrow into the skin or feed on blood. Instead, chiggers inject a digestive fluid containing enzymes that causes skin cells to rupture. The ruptured skin cell contents are then utilized as food. Unfortunately, the digestive fluid injected by the chigger causes affected skin tissue to become red and swollen. In addition, the bite area will cause you to itch like crazy for several days even after the chigger has detached from the skin!
The best way to avoid getting chiggers is to wear loose-fitting clothing, avoid sitting or reclining directly on the ground, use some type of insect repellent, and avoid their habitat.
Taking a hot, soapy bath or shower immediately after returning from a likely chigger-infested area can remove most chiggers before they have had the opportunity to attach and feed.
Think twice before sitting or sunbathing on that lovely patch of green grass!

Chigger Link

I've always used calamine loation with pretty good success and also soaking in salt water.

(Edited by TScottW99 at 12:12 pm on Aug. 18, 2002)

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
I use Permethrin, it seems to keep the chiggers off and works great for ticks too.  You put it on your clothes so you don't have to worry about chemicals being in contact with your skin.  
Scott

polecat55

Reaction score
i found  "chiggar aid" works great for any bites. stops the itching on contact and make a seal over the bite that way it smothers the chigger. get it at walmart or any dicount stores.:smile-yellow:

GoneHuntin

Reaction score
I'm with polecat - Chigger Ease or EZ from walmart makes the itch go away and the welp is about gone in a day or two

martin

Reaction score
I used Chigger Ease in the past but the last time I forgot to use repellent, I used Gold Bond Ointment and it seemed to work better.

Huntdoc

Reaction score
To help with the original question, lice shampoo can be toxic if used too frequently.  Most of the problem from the chigger comes after he has done his damage and is long gone.  Try the hydrocortisone to decrease the inflammation, which is probably what is in the chigger ease.  "Doctors and medicines are meant to amuse the patient while nature makes us better."

bigbucks

Reaction score
A little dab of clear fingernail polish works pretty good too.

Top Bottom